Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz:
But listening to GI, AG, JJ, or anyone with these guys experiences can teach us bunches.
No argument there.

reubencahn:
With Andrew at NAUI, will they teach deco on the fly in their Tech I equivalent or will they rely on tables?

To steal from a buddy of mine, when doing ratio / tic tac toe deco, do the X's or O's move first?

~ Jason

mweitz:
Most of the things you state below have already been addressed in the thread, so I don't see a whole lot of reason to recap them. If you reread it carefully you will see the point I'm trying to make.

This is intended to be a "what if" type of discussion. I see some things in a negative light, based on some of MY experiences, I am actually glad that you pointed out a couple of positive possibilities. Maybe having AG in a different agency will make GUE and NAUI all that much better. A little competition never hurt anyone. That would be a great outcome for everyone.

Darkpup made his post while I was typing this. A lot of what he said I consider to be "understood" by GUE trained divers, so I didn't spell it out.

James, let me know when you are going to be in town and we can have a couple of beers and yell at each other for a couple of hours, then maybe move on.
04.gif

Mark

MAybe one of these days we could indeed get together and have an adult conversation, but no yelling. I just don't allow myself to be in situations like that anymore. :D

On another note I have to say that it is very interesting reading and listening to people talk about how important it is to have a good instructor rather than a competent agency.
Six Months ago if anyone had mentioned anything about a new instructor that taught through TDI that was really good in town you guys would have all sat around talking about what a stroke the guy was because he wasn't GUE, now that AG and others are crossing over to NAUI the tune has changed.
I have great hopes for the 5thd-X croud and have verbally expressed this to one of them, I think it is a great path to better diving for everyone in the diving community who know nothing of DIR or GUE,they can get better training without having to figure out what is a better class, Fundies or a advanced diver cert.
Use this opportunity to pull your heads out of your own asses or the instructors for that matter(whichever seems to be fitting) to become better divers, to become thinking divers.
Take a class with AG, then take one with JJ and then go take a class from some schmuck in Botswana, you might learn a new thing or two, isnt that the point???

Hoosier,

I think you will find that watching the way a person acts and converses is more likely to alert people that the individual in question may be an unsafe person. Skills alone would not be the first thing most of the DIR divers would likely be clued into when meeting someone for the first time. An individual's mindset is actually more important than their in water skills.

hoosier:
If then, based on your standard, what is your distinction if some divers are qualified to dive with you (DIR certified) or not (in your expression, “if you’re an idiot, we find someone else to dive with)? How did you know their skill levels even if you don’t dive with them?

reubencahn:

I haven't learned ratio deco, but the nick name for it is tic tac toe deco. I assume they use a grid with X's and O's on it, and a buddy recently mentioned he asked AG, in a joking manner, whether the X's or O's move first while ascending.

It seemed really funny at the time....

~ Jason

wb416:
doesn't timothy O'leary and Bruce Wienke already have a regimine in place for their tech curriculum?

I don't know. I've only done GUE training, no NAUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom