Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
That said, I'm curious at just HOW divergent you guys think things will get? I mean, are we talking light cord in or out (as referenced earlier) or something as dramatic as table and gas switching that are wildly different and conflicting?

I am not, nor do I claim to be, experienced enough to properly answer this question. If I'm in the wrong I would appreciate it if someone would (kindly) point it out to me. Learning is good. I'd like to hazard a guess, even if it only serves to set me straight.

In a hypothetical situation, image GUE defined one method, and only method as DIR; meanwhile, another organization, such as NAUI for example, may consider two methods as perfectly acceptable as DIR. In other words, GUE divers would only accept one way as DIR while NAUI divers could accept either method as DIR.

Now imagine a group of both GUE and NAUI DIR divers intermingling(!) together on a dive trip. Let's use deco planning as an example for the DIR accepted method(s). Divers from both organization consider their own deco as DIR, however, as a group they would not be DIR because they have different deco schedules and are not standardized.

Am I on the right track or am I way off base?

Karen Cleveland:
Good thing AG never threw any other GUE instructor under the bus while he was affiliated with GUE.......

Sad thing is that there are many great instructors for all different agencies, especially at the TECH level that just get burnt out on the politics and just don't want to play anymore. We all have our "diving cells" that we prefer to dive and affiliate with. No need to spend anymore time discussing who is better or who did what to whom.....dive with whomever you want. All this stuff that has finally come out has probably been going on alot longer than any of us realize.

I have had the opportunity to dive or take classes from 6 different GUE Instructors over the years.....they all had different teaching styles and personalities and they were all committed to diving and had a genuine passion for the sport. Most of them are no longer teaching......too bad for the students that came along after they left.

Karen
I don't think I could of said it any better. But it is true. There is a little cell in Alberta that is in some crossroads (only time will tell what will happen). But, I have been introduced to two instructors that were beyond a doubt great instructors (Dan MacKay and AG) and the politics behind what is going on is rather disheartening and yet unfortunately predictable.

Jeff

SeanQ:
Am I on the right track or am I way off base?
Slightly off base. Its the Team that matters. All those decisions would of been decided before even entering the water. Deco is not an exact science, some teams might be more aggressive than others, but the procedures for the gas switches and communication should be the same.

I am not trained "DIR" - I however use the philosophy from what I have read in the GUI books, and DVD set....

That being said, I like the idea of another agency (NAUI) picking up the 'DIR' mentality. My big question is this - What type of fundamentals class will they offer ? I am a true believer in fundamentals... If you dont have bouancy control, a safe,non cluttered, and reliable equipment config, - then you cannot advance or be trained in 'tech' diving....

I hope I am not chewing on something already covered - I have no idea if they offer a true fundie type class or will.... I have always myself thought that PADI,NAUI, and others should offer something BEFORE the advanced OW cert - too many people take advanced OW that are no more advanced than a new certified OW diver with 6 dives in his log book.....

I am all for this - I just hope the instructors will learn to fail students that should be....and truely teach people how to "Do Things Right" :D

EIGHTWGT:
I like the idea of another agency (NAUI) picking up the 'DIR' mentality. My big question is this - What type of fundamentals class will they offer ? I am a true believer in fundamentals... If you dont have bouancy control, a safe,non cluttered, and reliable equipment config, - then you cannot advance or be trained in 'tech' diving....

I hope I am not chewing on something already covered - I have no idea if they offer a true fundie type class or will.... I have always myself thought that PADI,NAUI, and others should offer something BEFORE the advanced OW cert - too many people take advanced OW that are no more advanced than a new certified OW diver with 6 dives in his log book.....

I am all for this - I just hope the instructors will learn to fail students that should be....and truely teach people how to "Do Things Right" :D

Just because AG and other GUE instructors are crossing over to teach NAUI Tech classes does not mean that NAUI as an organization will "pick up DIR". FWIW - NAUI Tech already offers a curriculum very similar to DIR ... which is not surprising given the long-standing relationship between the heads of those respective organizations.

NAUI, at a recreational level, allows its instructors to teach above the standards. For that reason, it's a logical place for instructors who choose to do so to offer training in ways that are similar to DIR-Fundamentals. If we're lucky, AG will allow the "Essentials" class to become generally available to be taught by other NAUI instructors ... but, frankly, I don't expect it unless it somehow becomes financially to his advantage to do so. Like GUE did with Fundamentals, I expect he'll try to maintain some monopoly on the class.

One must understand, however, that taking Fundamentals (or Essentials) does not make one "DIR" ... all it does is give you the means to begin that journey. A lot of instructors ... from all agencies ... have taken DIR-F, not because they want to become a DIR diver, but because they want to gain skills and perspectives that will make them better able to teach solid skills to their students.

That was my motivation for taking the class ... I not only wanted to measure where my own skills were at, but also to see how those skills are being taught by an agency that is acknowledged to be pretty good at teaching them. I took the class twice ... from two different instructors ... and you can believe I was taking mental notes on both the curriculum and how it was being taught. I've since integrated some (but not all) of that stuff into my AOW class.

Don't look for NAUI to suddenly start offering DIR-like classes on a broad level ... I don't think it'll happen. What I do hope for is that by having these former GUE instructors in the NAUI program, some instructors will take their classes and decide to "raise the bar" on what they consider acceptable skills for their own students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, all, for the lunchtime entertainment. What saddens me is the political BS in the dive industry may have created (or at least exaccerbated) a rift within my circle of buddies, as evidenced by the mere existence of this thread.

jumsted65:
Thanks, all, for the lunchtime entertainment. What saddens me is the political BS in the dive industry may have created (or at least exaccerbated) a rift within my circle of buddies, as evidenced by the mere existence of this thread.

Wait a minute, now I'm confused... Was I suppose to hate Mark on Thursday of this week, or was it next Thursday? I forget....

~ Jason

24 / 7 my friend. 24 / 7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom