Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... the last few posts have brought up a question ... well, two questions ...

How many of you have taken the same GUE class more than once ... with different instructors?

Was the class taught the same way each time?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I have....

It was not "taught the same way," but the skills were the same and the material was almost identical.

Slightly different things were emphasized in each class, and each instructor's presentation was entirely different, but that's to be expected.

Class formats and expectations were identical.

Of course.. this was with a Californian and a Canadian.... both are "CA" natives so maybe that has something to do with it :wink:

1st DIR-F - Joe Talavera

2nd DIR-F - Delia Milliron / Joe Talavera

The only difference between the two classes was how Delia explaind the CG drill during our lecture. Minimum Decompression Rules had changed slightly in that they added percentages of depth in feet and ATA at which to start deep pauses and regular stops.

Other than that the class was very similar, but that could be because of Joe's influence in both classes.

~ Jason

Every time I wander over here to check things out there seems to be a terrible amount of wrangling that goes on. Am I imagining things or missing something? It makes me wonder if people ever enjoy diving, lol. I'm not trying to be a jerk but seriously, what's up with that?

menemsha43:
It makes me wonder if people ever enjoy diving, lol.
Yep ...

mweitz:
So, how do you improve sales of Halcyon? Well, you send your Training Director to NAUI. A bitter parting of ways, or a cleverly orchestrated move; you decide
04.gif

I am of course kidding around.

Mark

Lets not forget that JJ used to be in the higher echelons of Naui... hmmmmm

All kidding aside, My LDS is also a Naui shop that likes to think it can teach tech. They are about as opposite DIR as you can get - slob winders, deep air, biner attachments points, bungied wings etc. This is only to illustrate that the agency can be quite different and the instructor makes the difference.

I began all my initial rec training with them and then fell into place with some DIR minded divers which lead me to GUE and AG. At the begining it was GUE I was after because I knew I wanted to be DIR but didn't really know who was who. After going through fundies twice with AG (the last time also with Dan) I got my "rite of passage" to continue with GUE but probably won't. I like the way AG teaches and what he teaches and it wouldn't matter if he was padi.

After all this political BS, GUE is just another agency and I don't regard them any higher or lower than any of the rest of them. If I received my DIR training from GI (even though he doesn't teach) I'd probably stick with him too but the fact of the matter is I don't care about the WKPP and will never dive in N FL caves or with anyone who has. As cool as it would be to be a GUE guru, reading words from GI and JJ and other upper crust GUE members makes it abundantly clear to me that I won't fit their mould.
I can still be DIR though and that is all I'm after.
I prefer to learn from those who I may associate with or who have taught those who I most associate with. I know 1 guy who was taught by JJ many years ago but I know lots more that have been taught by AG and I mostly dive with them.

as a side note - I believe that our class was AG's last official GUE sanctioned DIR-F class. So that would make me part of the apex of the "perversion of DIR" (George's words)..... sounds kind of erotic don't ya think? :D

menemsha43:
It makes me wonder if people ever enjoy diving, lol.

Definitely. SAUE Photo Gallery

The "SAUE Channel Island 9-2005" gallery has some cool photos on pages 18 and 19 of Giant Sea Bass Josh and I dove with a couple weeks ago.

At the same time, Diving is something I passionately pursue, and I enjoy discussing it from time to time. Even if it gets me in trouble when I have difficulty explaining myself....

~ Jason

Thanks fellas, I feel better now.

I have to admit I don't know much about the DIR world. It seems intriguing at times in terms of attention to safety procedures/good diving practices but it also seems like a lot of "doctrine" when guys like me take a cursory look. The debates you folks get into are pretty frothy.

NWGratefulDiver:
OK ... the last few posts have brought up a question ... well, two questions ...

How many of you have taken the same GUE class more than once ... with different instructors?

Was the class taught the same way each time?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I sat in Martin Lorenzo's DIR-F Class (Puerto Galera Philippines) last month; some concepts have naturally evolved since I last took it five years ago (ig. Minimum Deco Table v. the old 120/20% Rule), and some have been better enhanced (Rock Bottom/Minimum Gas Reserve v. Simple Rule-of-Thirds). IMO, the best teaching aid now that I wish I had before is the videotape critique of you as a Student, doing the Drills & Skill Practice. I'm considering taking DIR-F again just because of that feature. . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom