Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
West Palm Beach (FL), UK, Singapore, Thailand....... To me its a matter of 'the world needing to know and accept GUE as a cert. agency.

While I'm not disputing the fact that some operators may shun divers who solely carry GUE cards, this is why every diver should keep an up to date logbook, and check with an operator long before getting there to make sure they will honor a GUE cert.

To be honest, If I'm GUE Tech 3 or Cave 3 certed and an op won't let me dive, I just simply wipe them from my list of possibles.

boomx5:
Isn't that the truth. I've tried to get Tamara to do my cave class, but she said there is no way she'd teach anymore...which is sad because she was great in my Fundamentals class.

Tamara was my Fundamentals instructor as well. I had hoped to continue with her, but she stopped teaching almost immediately after. Same with John Walker. Although I never had the chance to meet or dive with him, numerous friends took course with him and had nothing but positive things to say.

Bruce

scubaputz:
Tamara was my Fundamentals instructor as well. I had hoped to continue with her, but she stopped teaching almost immediately after. Same with John Walker. Although I never had the chance to meet or dive with him, numerous friends took course with him and had nothing but positive things to say.

Bruce

John Walker was my Fundies Instructor as well ("ah, figures. . ." ,says MHK :wink: ), nearly five years ago. Excellent Instructor, Top-Notch Diver/Explorer and all-around-good-guy!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=494079#post494079
http://www.ub88.org/27aug03divereport.html

Soggy:
I guess that's why Dive Rite is so unsuccessful, eh? :wink:

Hmmm, think you may have misunderstood that word.
"right" means correct

"rite" means something quite different...more like the ritual of going diving.

rite Audio pronunciation of "rite" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rt)
n.

1. The prescribed or customary form for conducting a religious or other solemn ceremony: the rite of baptism.
2. A ceremonial act or series of acts: fertility rites.
3. Rite The liturgy or practice of a branch of the Christian church.

Xman:
Hmmm, think you may have misunderstood that word.
"right" means correct

"rite" means something quite different...more like the ritual of going diving.
Unfortunately, it seems that you didn't understand what the goal with such name was - word-play :wink:

MonkSeal:
Unfortunately, it seems that you didn't understand what the goal with such name was - word-play :wink:

No, I understand that intended implication...its just that its a little less "in your face" when implied and when there is an alternative interpretation.

Also, I guess that people possibly don't take a statement by a company whose equipment they do or don't use as personally as a training agency.
The training agency using it as a slogan seems to give people the impression that those that were trained by that agency consider themselves that way.
I'm not saying that is actually the case, and am in no way anti DIR....just trying to give some perspective.
People don't seem to get as worked up about Halcyon using the slogan as they do GUE using the same wording...At least thats how it seems to me.

Xman:
No, I understand that intended implication...its just that its a little less "in your face" when implied and when there is an alternative interpretation.

Also, I guess that people possibly don't take a statement by a company whose equipment they do or don't use as personally as a training agency.
The training agency using it as a slogan seems to give people the impression that those that were trained by that agency consider themselves that way.
I'm not saying that is actually the case, and am in no way anti DIR....just trying to give some perspective.
People don't seem to get as worked up about Halcyon using the slogan as they do GUE using the same wording...At least thats how it seems to me.
There will always be people that are affected with some words with no reason but this is their problem. BTW Nobody noticed possible wrong intepretations of word Fundamentals in DIR-F :05: Who knows when this will affect sombody. IMO this discussion is going nowhere.

Wow.. people accuse DIR of being a religion... but it's that other company that has RITES!! :eye-popin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom