Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
I guess there are two ways for JJ/GUE to improve the overall quality of divers.

I'm not even certain that this is what JJ and GUE are trying to do.

The initial purpose of GUE was to be the training agency for the WKPP. I think they may be broadening this vision to include the EKPP and the guys in .mx and other exploration groups, but nowhere do I see any evidence that they're interested in trying to influence the vast majority of divers or other agencies.

Perhaps they are just trying to provide a way for those divers who are interested in their method, and properly motivated, can obtain quality training?

Charlie99:
I guess there are two ways for JJ/GUE to improve the overall quality of divers. One is to develop an improved system and spread it as widely as possible through the training of many divers, through both technical courses and initial open water certification course.

The other way is to set a standard and an example with a small boutique training organization, focussed on more technical diving, hoping that the major training organizations will adopt some of these improvements for their courses, including basic open water certification. The fact that this thread is discussing non GUE DIR is an example that this approach is working to some extent.

Problem is, Joe Sixpack doesn't want to have to go through an improved learning system, and thus, more difficult. They want quick certs so that they can whisk off to some tropical locale and look at the pretty fishies.

And the bigger agencies aren't about to create a better system. Heck, why should they? Lemme see, I can zing students $500 for OW, $300 for AOW, $200 for EANx, $200+ for any "specialty class"......And let's not forget all the nonsensical, unneeded, overpriced gear.

You've then created a society of divers that:

1) Is enamored with collecting certs/cards
2) Divers that are certed regardless of skill level simply because they paid for the class
3) Divers that question/resent a organization like GUE because it has the audacity to propose that the way some of these divers are taught is not the most efficient way (notice I didn't say the wrong way).

Honestly, if you're a diver who is non-GUE trained and is happy with what they have, great. If they want to see what else is out there, then by all means, take a GUE class. I take EVERY class (non-diving as well) with the sole purpose of learning something new. Even with DIR-F I didn't care if I flat out failed, I just wanted to learn.

lamont:
I'm not even certain that this is what JJ and GUE are trying to do.

The initial purpose of GUE was to be the training agency for the WKPP. I think they may be broadening this vision to include the EKPP and the guys in .mx and other exploration groups, but nowhere do I see any evidence that they're interested in trying to influence the vast majority of divers or other agencies.

With GUE hopefully going to begin offering OW classes, it is MHO that they are in fact trying to influence indivduals, but only those who have the desire and commitment to do so. I'm sure the GUE OW class will be more in-depth and demanding, and it will take a certain type of person who is willing to make that commitment rather than go to one of the "dive today" or "get certed in a weekend" places.

lamont:
Hank49:
I was looking at this more from if I was a director of this company, how would I increase market share in the dive industry.

JJ has posted (in the past couple of days even) that this is precisely what he doesn't care about.

GUE doesn't need to be a for profit organization because that's what Halcyon is for. :D I'm not saying GUE would become a for profit organization without Halcyon; everything I've gathered from GUE's website suggests otherwise. Of course, they are not my companies and I have no idea what sort of income they have.

Derek S:
You've then created a society of divers that:

1) Is enamored with collecting certs/cards
2) ........

And this brings it back full circle. The Industry has created a world where their certs are predominantly known/acceptedand people 'collect them'. This creates an issue for GUE trained divers, and will become VERY obvious shortly when the GUE OW courses start. Currently with a GUE cert, you can not always get on a boat everywhere, or into a cave system. Most operators want to see better known agency cards, stuff they know and see every day. This is in some conjecture with what GUE seems to put out: 'Not creating another commercial institute a la NAUI/PADI.

So from one hand there is this push to create more training the market is used to (GUE OW) and othe the other hand 'not widening footprint and visibility (natural outcome of applied marketing strategy) to an end result of frustrated divers who paid a lot of money getting certified, and then not being able to always get on operator boats, caves etc...... seems like a contradiction to me.

.......... who knows what the real plan is for GUE, only the insiders at the top know. But the message I read in the actions is as above..... draw you own conclusions.

Meng_Tze:
And this brings it back full circle. The Industry has created a world where their certs are predominantly known/acceptedand people 'collect them'. This creates an issue for GUE trained divers, and will become VERY obvious shortly when the GUE OW courses start. Currently with a GUE cert, you can not always get on a boat everywhere, or into a cave system.
Oh yeah?

Where?

Hehe, I've been biting my tongue on this one but here goes.

So, how do you improve sales of Halcyon? Well, you send your Training Director to NAUI. A bitter parting of ways, or a cleverly orchestrated move; you decide
04.gif

I am of course kidding around.

Mark

SeanQ:
GUE doesn't need to be a for profit organization because that's what Halcyon is for.
04.gif
I'm not saying GUE would become a for profit organization without Halcyon; everything I've gathered from GUE's website suggests otherwise. Of course, they are not my companies and I have no idea what sort of income they have.

jonnythan:
Oh yeah?

Where?
West Palm Beach (FL), UK, Singapore, Thailand....... To me its a matter of 'the world needing to know and accept GUE as a cert. agency.

mweitz:
Hehe, I've been biting my tongue on this one but here goes.

So, how do you improve sales of Halcyon? Well, you send your Training Director to NAUI. A bitter parting of ways, or a cleverly orchestrated move; you decide
04.gif

I am of course kidding around.

Mark

Interesting conspiracy theory. When does "the X-factor" work in though? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom