Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this mean if it were named Doing It Rite that everyone would be okay with it? :D

CALI68:
I'm still not sure why you quoted Mel and I :06: . Mel is basically saying that the good thing about GUE is that no matter where you go in the world you know the GUE person you're going to meet up with is safe (meaning trained) because he or she passed (whatever level) and holds a card stating so. I

As far as Mo2Vation goes, the funny thing is that Ken's about as nice a Guy as you'll find and very far from being a "prick".

-Chris

Maybe I'm the prick then :)

If you'll take the DIR-F class, you'll see that it is taught the exact same across the board, by all GUE instructors. Your class taught by (fill in instructors name) will be the same as mine, taught by Joe Talavera/Delia Milliron

I have to agree with Soggy - I am not sure at this time all GUE Classes are taught the same across the board. My Fundies class was very differnent than his.

It really comes down to the instructor. After talking the same class as him. I feel any more training will be done by this Instructor.

ericfine50:
I have to agree with Soggy - I am not sure at this time all GUE Classes are taught the same across the board. My Fundies class was very differnent than his.

It really comes down to the instructor. After talking the same class as him. I feel any more training will be done by this Instructor.

I think you may have taken that a bit too literally. Each DIR-F class has the same lectures and skills that will be taught in the class. Thus each class is the same across the board.

Yes, the material changes quite often. I've seen Minimum Decompression Rules change at least 3 times in the past 2 years.

Yes, the class may be a bit different based on the skills of the students, the experience and teaching methods of the instructor, and how the questions by the students are asked and answered during the class. Just the mere make up of the students in the class will change the actual experience of how the class procedes (i.e. single tanks vs. doubles).

In the end though, a GUE frog kick is a GUE frog kick through out all classes. The same with the rest of the skills.

I've had the opportunity to take part in roughly 5 DIR-F classes with 2 different instructors and up to 5 different interns teaching. 2 of them I was a student, the others I helped out in some way or another. Each of the classes was slightly different, but the core material was always the same unless GUE changed something minor since the last class I took part in.

~ Jason

In the end though, a GUE frog kick is a GUE frog kick through out all classes. The same with the rest of the skills.

You are kidding right? A GUE Frog Kick? Ahh. The frog kick is your basic cave kick. Has been taught for years before GUE. They did not start teaching that. Right now, you can see fraction/cells whatever you want to call it - each has as little twist on what GUE Training is.

At this point, I don't think GUE training across the board is the same. That is their goal. but, I think others may agree, they have not reached it.

ericfine50:
You are kidding right? A GUE Frog Kick? Ahh. The frog kick is your basic cave kick. Has been taught for years before GUE. They did not start teaching that. Right now, you can see fraction/cells whatever you want to call it - each has as little twist on what GUE Training is.

At this point, I don't think GUE training across the board is the same. That is their goal. but, I think others may agree, they have not reached it.

That's funny, I mention "GUE Frog Kick" to identify the way GUE teaches the frog kick, and you take it as me implying GUE created the Frog Kick. Obviously that wasn't my intention, but thank you for the history lesson.

IMO, I don't think any agency could ever reach a point where their training was ever the same across the board by your standards, thus the reason for my post defending the orignal concept of getting as close as possible to that goal. I thought my intentions were clear, but obviously they weren't.

~ Jason

If we continue to discuss anything that crosses our minds this will be the longest thread on this board (or at least in this forum). Let's give a try. :D

MonkSeal:
If we continue to discuss anything that crosses our minds this will be the longest thread on this board (or at least in this forum). Let's give a try. :D
OK ... the last few posts have brought up a question ... well, two questions ...

How many of you have taken the same GUE class more than once ... with different instructors?

Was the class taught the same way each time?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me

No

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom