Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, That is correct, I know you are very upfront about it, as is MHK, I just assume that you forgot to post it in this this thread. *I* know it, but not everyone hangs out on the 'net as much as me :D

Promote:
4.To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.

Chris, based on comments you have made and things other people have said that you have confirmed, you are affiliated with 5thD-X. You have loaned them facilities (that they would normally have to rent) labor, etc and received some instruction from them for free.

I asked people to post their affiliations on this thread because it is more relevant to this particular topic then it is with most topics in this forum. Clearly having an affiliation with AG is important in the scope of the conversation. EVERYONE that I am aware of that is on SB with an affiliation to AG (except the instructors themselves) posted to this thread, though not all of them mentioned it.

[1]Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

NWGratefulDiver:
I have always been upfront about my affiliations. In fact, that's how you "know" ... because I've posted them often enough.

Furthermore, the shop doesn't just promote GUE classes, they teach them as well. In fact, JJ is here teaching Tech 2 even as I type this.

I don't understand the intent of your post. I went back and scanned the past few pages, and I see no connection between what's being discussed and what you posted.

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate what you're getting at ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mweitz:
Bob, That is correct, I know you are very upfront about it, as is MHK, I just assume that you forgot to post it in this this thread. *I* know it, but not everyone hangs out on the 'net as much as me :D

Promote:
4.To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.

Chris, based on comments you have made and things other people have said that you have confirmed, you are affiliated with 5thD-X. You have loaned them facilities (that they would normally have to rent) labor, etc and received some instruction from them for free.

I asked people to post their affiliations on this thread because it is more relevant to this particular topic then it is with most topics in this forum. Clearly having an affiliation with AG is important in the scope of the conversation. EVERYONE that I am aware of that is on SB with an affiliation to AG (except the instructors themselves) posted to this thread, though not all of them mentioned it.

[1]Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

Mark ... I still don't see the relevence ... none of my posts in this thread in any way promoted anything. Furthermore, I do not have ... nor have I ever had ... any affiliation with Andrew Georgitsis. I just recently became a staff member at Fifth Dimension ... and AG has been gone from there for quite some time.

I have no dog in that hunt ... nor do I particularly want one.

I'm a NAUI instructor. My role at Fifth Dimension is to teach NAUI classes. I try real hard ... both there and here ... to stay the heck out of office politics. Especially GUE politics.

Hell, I'm not even clear on which "side" you think I'm promoting. You're wrong, in either case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mweitz:
Promote:

Just so we're clear on this, I'm affiliated with Disneyland, Starbucks Coffee, 5thd-x, GUE, Halcyon, SAUE, Chippotle, Dos Coyotes (another restaurant we like), and Maui (since our last trip there).

mweitz:

Chris, what facilities have you rented 5thd-x? I know that you brought a speaker to Joe and my B-Day party (thank you for that). You let us stay at your place last night (thanks for the coffee and toast), and that might be construed as loaning out facilities. At the same time, Mark and Sylvie have graciously allowed us to stay at their place in the past (Mark, thank you for that).

I know that you dive with Joe, Delia, or AG (or anyone else for that matter) on the weekdays for fun dives, and that yes, they may point something out that could be construed as instruction (even though many may not be instructors). I actually work for 5thd-x on a volunteer basis, and I've never heard that you were in any way affiliated with us. I'll ask Joe today about that since Janeane and I will be helping them with the Tweak today at Breakwater.

As a matter of fact, that's where we're at right now. Just waiting for the sun to come up before hitting the water. We have the new video enclosure with us, and will need the sun to brighten things up for us. (Yes, I'm a geek, and bring along an internet connection on every dive)

jatbreakwater.jpg

For everyone else out there. Have fun today.

~ Jason

mweitz:
EVERYONE that I am aware of that is on SB with an affiliation to AG (except the instructors themselves) posted to this thread, though not all of them mentioned it.

No affiliation to AG at all. Only met him once...apparently our group wasn't worth his time back then. So a group of us went to CA to take the fundamentals class with John Walker....great guy. After that he stopped teaching , so Tamara agreed to come to AZ to teach Fundamentals for some of my friends.

And as far as my affiliation with an LDS....yes I am affiliated with one. I set up all the logistics and arranged for Tamara to teach fundamentals in Phoenix. I also ended up taking cave 2 with her because I really liked her teaching style.

So there is my disclosure...big whoop.

Karen

mweitz:
So,

How do folks feel about non GUE trained DIR divers? It looks like at least NAUI is getting on the bandwagon. Will the GUE Tech divers be able to do dives with the NAUI Tech divers? Will they want to? Do we think that as time goes on, the systems (from agency to agency) will slowly morph away from each other? It seems that at least one NAUI instructor has made modifications to some of the DIR systems.

Let's try to keep this a bit on topic and FLAME FREE.

If you post to this thread and have ANY affiliation with any training agency or instructors, please state it.

Thanks,

Mark

OK ... so now I see the relevence. I went back to the beginning of this thread (long thread) and noticed your last statement. Question answered.

To put the thread back on topic, let me directly answer your other questions ...

How do folks feel about non GUE trained DIR divers?
I feel that it depends entirely on the diver. When I dive with someone, I don't usually ask to see their C-card(s) ... I'm more concerned with experience and attitude. I'll decide on a dive profile accordingly and evaluate the rest during the dive. I don't have to dive with DIR-trained divers, although for more aggressive dive profiles I feel more comfortable (generally) doing so. On the other hand, I occasonally dive with some very squared-away folks who have never attended (and never will) a GUE training class.

Will the GUE Tech divers be able to do dives with the NAUI Tech divers?
In some circles they already do ... and have been for quite some time. I have heard that O'Leary and Jablonski dive together.

Will they want to?
That depends on the divers involved. Some are more concerned about agency affiliations than others. Me ... I just want to go diving.

Do we think that as time goes on, the systems (from agency to agency) will slowly morph away from each other?
Seems to me ... at least during the time I've been paying attention to the topic ... that GUE and NAUI Tech have been slowly morphing toward each other.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just an FYI.

NAUI or NAUI Tec is *not* teaching DIR.

There are a few NAUI instructors (who were originally GUE instructors and in one case was GUE's training director) that have extended and enhanced some of NAUI's training to include all of the DIR principles.

Big difference.

StSomewhere:
Just an FYI.

NAUI or NAUI Tec is *not* teaching DIR.

There are a few NAUI instructors (who were originally GUE instructors and in one case was GUE's training director) that have extended and enhanced some of NAUI's training to include all of the DIR principles.

Big difference.

My NAUI tec instructor is very DIR. He was never a GUE Instructor. The class was not "extended or enhanced"

You can be DIR without being GUE!!

Tavi:
You can be DIR without being GUE!!
You can not. My NAUI instructor is also DIR oriented and some things from DIR are included in his training. But when I took DIR-F I saw the difference between teaching the way "you think you know something" and the way "you have the knowledge". The systematic way of teaching that DIR instructors do is something that can't be replaced with some instant selftaught "I know what DIR is" approach.

MonkSeal:
You can not. My NAUI instructor is also DIR oriented and some things from DIR are included in his training. But when I took DIR-F I saw the difference between teaching the way "you think you know something" and the way "you have the knowledge". The systematic way of teaching that DIR instructors do is something that can't be replaced with some instant selftaught "I know what DIR is" approach.

Well I disagree!!

DIR is not exclusive to GUE.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom