Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi:
Well I disagree!!

DIR is not exclusive to GUE.
Great.. my big fear is that, because of NAUI, "DIR" is going to be redefined as whatever you want...

Tavi, have you taken any classes from a GUE instructor to compare what you think DIR is and is not? Has your NAUI instructor?

jonnythan:
Great.. my big fear is that, because of NAUI, "DIR" is going to be redefined as whatever you want...
Moreover, my fear is that in such (hopefully only hipotetic) case standards would be lowered.

jonnythan:
Tavi, have you taken any classes from a GUE instructor to compare what you think DIR is and is not? Has your NAUI instructor?
According to his profile, he isn't. But he has his opinion. However, let's give him the oportunity to explain how.

MonkSeal:
Moreover, my fear is that in such (hopefully only hipotetic) case standards would be lowered.
I'm guessing that's not going to be a problem with my soon-to-be instructor. :wink:

As I was alluding to last night, NAUI allows an instructor to require additional skills over and above the documented course procedures, as the instructor sees fit. What a certain instructor (and former GUE course director) is doing is adding the DIR coursework to existing NAUI courses and making those extended/enhanced skills required. They also offer a recreational program that includes OW, Advanced, Nitrox, and DIRF. As well as more advanced rec, triox, tech, etc. Go figure.

But you guys are right its not something just any NAUI instructor could do, because they may not have sufficient background in DIR to teach DIR.

StSomewhere:
... NAUI allows an instructor to require additional skills over and above the documented course procedures, as the instructor sees fit.
While GUE requires that student fulfills ...

Notice the difference between "allows to require" and "requires". That's the point. Some instructors can require something from some students. To many "some" for my taste.

MonkSeal:

Notice the difference between "allows to require" and "requires". That's the point. Some instructors can require something from some students. To many "some" for my taste.
See, and after all this, we're back to "its the instructor not the agency". :)

MonkSeal:

If an individual instructor makes something a requirement in his course than that requirement should be no less valid than any other requirement be it GUE or anything else. If the requirement exisits than it exists

bridgediver:
What are the facts as you see them? Why can only GUE be DIR?
Thats like saying only the Wright brothers can teach someone how to fly
Here are the few things that I rely on:
1. GUE defined what DIR is
2. I agree that this is the way I want to dive
3. GUE guaranties certain level of skills for divers that their instructors certified
4. From my experience GUE trained divers are skilled as expected to be

If there's another agency that can do 4. for every diver I'll change my opinion.

bridgediver:
If an individual instructor makes something a requirement in his course than that requirement should be no less valid than any other requirement be it GUE or anything else. If the requirement exisits than it exists
But there's no guarantee that all divers fulfills that requirement.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom