Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
I don't see what CQ has common with what has occured past month. Has any of students complained on training received?.

Yes. From what I've seen on other boards and even this thread this seems evident

MonkSeal:
How can you say that my point #4 is not true? To remind you, my point #4 was: "From my experience ..." From mine, not yours, not anybody elses..

Sorry. Did not mean to imply you don't have an opinion. I thought we were discussing facts

MonkSeal:
But it's not obligatory to go DIR way or to get education from GUE. If you like it you take it. If you have negative feelings you don't take it.

I agree

jonnythan:
Great.. my big fear is that, because of NAUI, "DIR" is going to be redefined as whatever you want...

Tavi, have you taken any classes from a GUE instructor to compare what you think DIR is and is not? Has your NAUI instructor?

I haven't had any GUE training. I may take DIRF someday just to compare.

I don't think my Tec Instructor has had any GUE training. He has done dives with George and JJ and others. He's done a lot of the dives I dream of someday doing. The Doria, Diepolar, Eagles Nest and others.

For Equipment we were directed to GUE's Anatomy of a technical diver (this was just before the new NTEC standards came out). Buoyancy was critical with skills and decostops. Nobody was hanging on a line. There was a very strong emphasis on Team!!

I can imagine that GUE tec classes could be tougher..........some one said our class was like "DIR Lite" :wink:

Bob, it's not about NAUI claiming to teach DIR.

It's about all these people taking NAUI training and *thinking* they're DIR because the instructor makes it look like what he thinks DIR is.

lamont, though, as usual, puts things in perspective. The term DIR is something GUE is shying away from, and it won't matter who thinks they're DIR. What will become increasingly important is proper instruction from GUE, not instruction from an agency whose instructors may or may not have a clue and produce hundreds of divers who think they're DIR but display the complete spectrum of skills and procedures.

jonnythan:
It's about all these people taking NAUI training and *thinking* they're DIR because the instructor makes it look like what he thinks DIR is.

Does this change when the instructors are former GUE instructors continuing to teach the same classes for a different agency?

The original question asked whether another agency could teach DIR. The consensus so far has been that agencies like NAUI will never adopt the same standards as GUE, and that the responsibility falls on the NAUI instructor.

When you then have people like AG teaching DIR classes through NAUI, is it possible to be DIR?

Put another way, is it possible to be DIR yet never have taken a GUE class?

~ Jason

darkpup:
Does this change when the instructors are former GUE instructors continuing to teach the same classes for a different agency?
It changes when said instructor was tossed out of GUE for not being DIR.

darkpup:

~ Jason
Perhaps, but very unlikely. I have yet to see anyone who has taken DIR-F and claims that they had it all down beforehand.

darkpup:

The original question asked whether another agency could teach DIR. The consensus so far has been that agencies like NAUI will never adopt the same standards as GUE, and that the responsibility falls on the NAUI instructor.

When you then have people like AG teaching DIR classes through NAUI, is it possible to be DIR?

~ Jason
It also depends on wether you consider AG to still b DIR :11:

[Edit] Duh! I should have read Jonnythan's post first :D [/Edit]

jonnythan:
It changes when said instructor was tossed out of GUE for not being DIR.

I guess that's one way to look at it, and it does answer the question. GUE is the only agency that can determine what DIR is, and they determine who knows DIR and who doesn't.

So on the same topic, when a students DIR-F card expires in 3 years after the course and they forget to send in the paper work, are they still DIR? Or do they fail to be DIR because they forgot to fill out the paper work?

~ Jason

darkpup:
I guess that's one way to look at it, and it does answer the question. GUE is the only agency that can determine what DIR is, and they determine who knows DIR and who doesn't.

So on the same topic, when a students DIR-F card expires in 3 years after the course and they forget to send in the paper work, are they still DIR? Or do they fail to be DIR because they forgot to fill out the paper work?

~ Jason
It depends on.. if they're DIR or not.

DIR and GUE are two different things. You guys are smart, be reasonable. Seriously.

The only reliable place to learn DIR is through a GUE instructor or one of the associated expedition teams.

If you find an instructor claiming to be able to teach you DIR and he's not a GUE instructor, stop for a second, use your brain, and wonder to yourself why an instructor so motivated to teach DIR *isn't* a GUE instructor.

Not filling out the proper forms in triplicate is not DIR, thus they will explode.

;-)

Mark

darkpup:

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom