Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
If you find an instructor claiming to be able to teach you DIR and he's not a GUE instructor, stop for a second, use your brain, and wonder to yourself why an instructor so motivated to teach DIR *isn't* a GUE instructor.
I know of one and I don't wonder, I know why. And if there is one, there could be more.

Try to keep an open mind.

JeffG:
I know of one and I don't wonder, I know why. And if there is one, there could be more.

Try to keep an open mind.
I have an open mind about it. What non-GUE instructor teaches DIR? Mossman or something?

jonnythan:
I have an open mind about it. What non-GUE instructor teaches DIR? Mossman or something?
Yea...but think ahead. Lets say a few Tech 2 divers out there want to be instructors and they don't want to go through all the BS with GUE...do they all of a sudden become non-DIR?

The idea that DIR will be consistent across the board is nothing more than an interesting pipe dream on paper. It will never happen. Not only are there regional differences, there are team level differences.

Now having said that...does it really matter? IMO...Not really, nobody will be so far "out there" that they become something not recognizable or to be able to adapt to. Plus...usually Teams dive within themselves, so the minor differences don't even come into play.

They don't become non-DIR, but they're not necessarily qualified to TEACH DIR just because they took a couple of classes. GUE instructors have to go through a hell of a lot more than Tech 2 to become DIR instructors.

That's the same kinda idiocy as PADI OW instructors becoming PADI drysuit instructors by taking the same drysuit specialty OW divers take.

jonnythan:
GUE instructors have to go through a hell of a lot more than Tech 2 to become DIR instructors.
Really? What then?

What then what? :p

jonnythan:
What then what? :p
Well...do they take them into the back room, kill some goats and pass on some hidden knowledge?

Why wouldn't someone that has a Tech 2 level training be unable to teach DIR as a system?

Ask GUE. I know that there's a lengthy process that presumably involves a tough instructor's class and a significant mentoring period with another GUE instructor. I imagine you learn quite a bit during the process.

jonnythan:
What does that have to do with being an instructor that teaches DIR as a system?

jonnythan:
They don't become non-DIR, but they're not necessarily qualified to TEACH DIR just because they took a couple of classes. .

Is GUE really the only entity that can determine what is DIR and what is not? Will they always be the be all and end all when it comes to DIR? Ford invented the first car but does that mean that all other cars are not really cars?

jonnythan:
GUE instructors have to go through a hell of a lot more than Tech 2 to become DIR instructors..

I think that this was Jeff's whole point. Not many people have the finiancial ability or inclination to trounce around the globe for a year or more to be one of the choosen few that can teach a GUE class. Does this make their experience/qualification or even knowledge of DIR less than the few "qualified" instructors that GUE has?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom