Non AI ideas for Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdenny

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I would like to get opinions on places to stay near town from folks who do the non AI thing in Cozumel. I really dont want to rehash the merits of an AI vs non AI. But if you go to Cozumel and do not stay at the AI resorts I'd be interested to hear your suggestions. I guess if we do the non AI trip the things that would be most important to us are the following...

1) Close to a dock for pick up, shore diving, gear storage avail.
2) Clean rooms w/ maid service
3) Good breakfast place nearby
4) Close to town
5) No car needed

If anyone knows of a clean Hotel near town, non AI, with a good dive op, shore diving and gear storage... that'd be perfect for us.

Thanks,
G

gdenny:
Hi everybody,

I would like to get opinions on places to stay near town from folks who do the non AI thing in Cozumel. I really dont want to rehash the merits of an AI vs non AI. But if you go to Cozumel and do not stay at the AI resorts I'd be interested to hear your suggestions. I guess if we do the non AI trip the things that would be most important to us are the following...

4) Close to town
5) No car needed

If anyone knows of a clean Hotel near town, non AI, with a good dive op, shore diving and gear storage... that'd be perfect for us.

Thanks,
G

Caribe Blu fits all your requirements, and I add my personal recommendation.

Cheers,

we usually stay at La Ceiba, some of it is currently under renovation but we were just there over labor day week and it wasn't any kind of problem, noise, dust ect.
they have their own dock, every dive op will pick you up there. good shore diving and snorkeling off the beach, just jump in off the pier.
very clean rooms, maid service every day. good breakfast buffet or menu orders. the food is always good for any meal. Ernesto's fajita factory is just a coulple of blocks away and they have a great breakfast at a reasonable price.
cab fare to town is $4, if you feel energetic you can even walk, it's about 2 miles-ish
we've walked it many times.
The hotel dive op has changed, used to be Del Mar Aquadics but I think someone else runs it now, Dive with Martin one of the best ops on the island has a shop next door in the shopping center of the international pier. best rates also, cash only, but with a package you can get a discount on price, free night dive and or video depending on amount of dives. visit www.divewithmartin.com
Island photo and video are on the hotel grounds, Holly and Armando owners and operators are both published photographers and videographers and do a wonderful job with photo development. they also rent digital and film cameras. great people also.
gear storage is just some boxes with bring your own padlock type stuff at the hotel but Martin will hold your equipment and fresh water rinse it every day.
ok, there's my plug, have a great trip & happy diving,
the shark

ggunn:
Caribe Blu fits all your requirements, and I add my personal recommendation.

Cheers,

Ditto what ggunn said.

BTW some of the hotels offer AI as well as non AI accomodations. Hotel Cozumel for example.

You might consider renting a house. We rent out our place when we aren't able to use it ourselves (which is most of the time.) Out of respect for the board I won't go into a big sales pitch but it meets most of your criteria including daily maid service for no more than most ocean front hotel rooms.

You can email me at mediakzar@aol.com for more info or take a look at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html

JK

gdenny:
Hi everybody,

4) Close to town
5) No car needed

Thanks,
G

gdenny:
Hi everybody,

4) Close to town
5) No car needed

Thanks,
G

My recommendations based on your requests would be Caribe Blu or Casa Mexicana.

Casa Mexicana
Located on the waterfront downtown (not on the beach). Well managed, modern, nicely decorated, air conditioned, cable TV, room safes, telephones, free internet connection (with your laptop), complimentary breakfast buffet served on the terrace each morning. This hotel is located in town and depending on which dive op you use, you can be picked up at the downtown pier almost directly in front of the hotel.

Caribe Blu
Waterfront hotel with pool and pier for boat pick-up right outside your door. Recently remodeled and under new ownership. All rooms are ocean view with private balconies, AC, cable TV, telephones, room safe and an onsite bar and grill open for breakfast and lunch. This hotel is approximately ¾ mile south of town so it’s a nice walk or a 10 minute taxi ride ($4 to $5 USD). There is also an onsite dive shop and shore diving opportunities here are probably some of the best on the island (other than the Presidente).

Hotel with 1000 names, I mean Hotel Cozumel may be worth checking into as well. They have a non-AI option.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps!

mediakzar:
You might consider renting a house. We rent out our place when we aren't able to use it ourselves (which is most of the time.) Out of respect for the board I won't go into a big sales pitch but it meets most of your criteria including daily maid service for no more than most ocean front hotel rooms.

You can email me at mediakzar@aol.com for more info or take a look at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html

JK

Your home is a fabulous alternative. Wish I'd known about it sooner. I'm taking a trip to Coz at the end of October. I'll definitely keep you in mind for future trips. Thanks for sharing!

PF

We are going down in late October and have rented a villa ... www.villados.com
There are 6 of us - so it's an attractive option. We have arranged to be picked up right on the beach from bluextsea divers.

I've stayed in Cozumel several times - this will be nice to try for a change.

Lisa

Hochhauser:
We are going down in late October and have rented a villa ... www.villados.com
There are 6 of us - so it's an attractive option. We have arranged to be picked up right on the beach from bluextsea divers.

I've stayed in Cozumel several times - this will be nice to try for a change.

Lisa

Yeah, I'd say. If I somehow just happen to be in the neighborhood... say... late October, can I crash on the sofa? I'll buy the beer and I make a good margarita.

I wouldn't mind traveling with some fellow SBers or meeting somewhere to dive and share a house. I've always thought that was a great option, but it's always my wife and I. Is there a thread here for that sort of thing?

Caribe Blu/ Blue Angel DS does look like a nice option. I checked their prices for a week of lodging and diving and I'd spend that much on just boat dives in Hawaii for 5 days. Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are down to a couple of finalists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom