Nocturnal lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Floater,

Good, you should be ready to go then :) How do you like the construction of the lights so far from the looks and feel of it?

Tribaltim,

You should receive the lights anytime now, it's been several days since we shipped it out using USPS.

Tim

Hey NLI Tim,

I haven't received it yet but I suppose it's going to take a little while sometimes here on Okinawa the mail is weird. Sometimes it's fast sometimes it's slow. Hopefully it makes it's way here soon. I'm really looking forward to diving with it. You wouldn't happen to have a way to track it would you?

You know what, I'll check to see if the receipt has any tracking numbers. We usually have everything on record but since the product was going to Okinawa, we had to run to the post office to ship it. I'll let you know once I find out when I get into the office first thing tomorrow.

Just got my light in the mail today it's charging right now and Saturday I will use it for the first time. I'll let you know how it works out.....

Sounds good :) Keep us posted.

Just did my first dive with my new Nocturnal Dive light and it was awsome. I could see stuff that I have never seen before in the water. Not once did I feel like the light got in my way and it wasen't tireing to hold for a long period of time because of the design.......You guys rock that's for everything!

NLI Tim:
Hi Floater,

Good, you should be ready to go then :) How do you like the construction of the lights so far from the looks and feel of it?

Feels good, looks solid. I'll post some pics to give others a better idea.

It's basically an 2-piece aluminium tube that you can screw on/off. The o-ring is at the base. It seems that there are 12 AA rechargeables rigged in 6 columns. The bulbs are easy to pull off and put on.

Edit: The on/off switch also has another safety switch on it to keep the light from slipping into the on position while traveling.

hi, i'm about to order one myself but the only thing stopping me is the batteries. they are 160.00 for a replacement for the sl50 and 380.00 for replacement batteries for the tl50 pro. that seems really high for batteries.

daltrey:
hi, i'm about to order one myself but the only thing stopping me is the batteries. they are 160.00 for a replacement for the sl50 and 380.00 for replacement batteries for the tl50 pro. that seems really high for batteries.

Good point. It would be nice if the batts were user replaceable. However, I also realized that I mis-spoke in my previous post about the AA's - the batts are probably bigger inside the battery columns, at least they could fit bigger cells.

I initially assumed they were AA's because the shape looked the same (except for size) and I know one 2500 mAh rechargeable AA LiHM gives out about 1.43v when full, so 12 times that (in series) is about 17.1v which is what my SL50 measured. But the cells used with these lights are probably custom made since they can power the high watts bulbs for as long as they can.

Hi Daltrey,

Did you email me? If so I've emailed you back regarding hte batteries.

Floater,

You're right about the batteries. We have them custom made in a series of 12 1.2 v batteries with a chip inside, that's why they cannot be made with household rechargeable AA batteries. On top of that our chargers are made for the batteries that we made. There are also several high quality components that goes into the battery design, such as the connection point between the battery and the canister cap, they're not just connected by home-made wiring. It is the most cost effective to use alkaline batteries but you will not be able to achieve the same brightness and efficiency with the batteries. If you follow the instructions and take good care of the batteries, you will not need any replacements in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom