Nocturnal lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi, yes thanks for answering my email. i would really like to order the tl50 pro from you. it looks like an awesome light. the only problem i have is if the canister ever floods then i 'm out 360.00. i would have no problem with paying about half that because an hid canister light battery is gonna cost close to that. it just seems to be the main thing from keeping me from buying one over an hid. i do alot of diving in murky water with vis of about 3 feet so this light seems to be just what i need but the battery is the only thing holding me off right now.

can you tell me the length and diameter of the canisters on the tl50 and the tl50 pro? they look like different sizes on your website. i'm still trying to decide between the two. thanks

5 days until I get to try out my TL50 twins! The battery can is a bit large, especially for mounting to a video housing, so I'll probably clip it to my BCD (about 3.5 lbs in water I think) with the lights on the housing:

Cam_Lights1.jpg

They're very bright even with the 20 watt bulbs, and the 50's are super bright (thanks NLI Tim for the spares). I'll be experimenting with different color bulbs (3800K & 4700K) to see which looks better for video.

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the late response, for some reason I never get an email notification from scubaboard, I'm going ot play with my options to make sure I can get back to you guys right away.

Daltrey,

The canister will not flood if you take good care of it like you do to any of your scuba gear. The battery canister housings are made of high grade 6061 aluminum and it resists corrosion and I can say that they can take a lot more impact than a lot of the other lights out on the market.

The diameter of the TL50 and TL20 TB battery canister is around 2 and 2/5 of an inch and the diameter of the TL50 Pro/Extreme/TB canister is around 4 inches. The length of the canisters are approximately 8 inches long.

Our lights is a good candidate for you if you're going to be diving in various conditions because you can just switch out the bulbs for different wattages and beam angles.

ReefGeek,

Thanks and keep us posted! I would recommend that you mount the TL50 TBs on the weight belt becuase it may swing around if you clip it on your BC. Some people find it uncomfortable so make sure you can find a way to keep it stablized if you decide to mount it on the BC :)

NLI Tim:
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the late response, for some reason I never get an email notification from scubaboard, I'm going ot play with my options to make sure I can get back to you guys right away.

Daltrey,

The canister will not flood if you take good care of it like you do to any of your scuba gear. The battery canister housings are made of high grade 6061 aluminum and it resists corrosion and I can say that they can take a lot more impact than a lot of the other lights out on the market.

The diameter of the TL50 and TL20 TB battery canister is around 2 and 2/5 of an inch and the diameter of the TL50 Pro/Extreme/TB canister is around 4 inches. The length of the canisters are approximately 8 inches long.

Our lights is a good candidate for you if you're going to be diving in various conditions because you can just switch out the bulbs for different wattages and beam angles.

ReefGeek,

Thanks and keep us posted! I would recommend that you mount the TL50 TBs on the weight belt becuase it may swing around if you clip it on your BC. Some people find it uncomfortable so make sure you can find a way to keep it stablized if you decide to mount it on the BC :)

Tim Any chance you can post a pic of the TL50 Pro Mounted on a Tank and if possible I'm sure that all of us would love to see some video of just how bright these lights are.
Thanks for keeping on top of this thread.

Hi Scubafrog,

Of course, I'll see if I can have that for you in the next couple of days. We're currently working on ading new conents to our website, which includes lots of pictures that shows the size and the quality of the products. I'll let you know whenever that's one. It takes a while becuase we have to resize, upload, and then edit the contents of the site. Let me know if there's anything else that you guys would like to see. Maybe I'll take a digital camera to a remote location at night and show you guys just how bright the lights are. If the quality of the digital video justifies the actual light output I'll be happy to post that up too.

Hi Guys,

First thanks for the reply. I look foward to seeing the new conents to your website, :earthors: and for some reason the email notification does not seem to be working. anyone else have this problem.

I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, BUT:

I get 9 watts for 12 hours for less that $100. (And on a recent dive it's pretty darn close to those cannister lights that cost 10x as much)

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED

* Lumen Output - High 170 - Low 118
* Burn time - High 12+ hours - Low 20+ hours
* LED life - 10,000+ hours
* 8 C alkaline batteries - INCLUDED
* Waterproof to 300 feet

Daylonious:
I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, BUT:

I get 9 watts for 12 hours for less that $100. (And on a recent dive it's pretty darn close to those cannister lights that cost 10x as much)

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED

* Lumen Output - High 170 - Low 118
* Burn time - High 12+ hours - Low 20+ hours
* LED life - 10,000+ hours
* 8 C alkaline batteries - INCLUDED
* Waterproof to 300 feet

Just for comparison, the SL50 cost me about $200 with shipping (using the discounts):

* Lumen Output - 50W 1000 - 35W 700 - 20W 400 (estimate)
* Burn time - 50W 45 min - 35W 80 min - 20W 120 min
* Bulb life - maybe 200-500 hours (??) - but came with 4 bulbs, cheap to replace
* Rechargeable - charger included.
* Waterproof to 328 feet.

Note: NLI Tim said the overvolted 50W bulb gives out around 1000 lumens. The 35W and 20W outputs are just my estimates and may be completely off. Also, the bulb lasts about 2000-5000 hours regularly, so assuming it only lasts a tenth of the usual time when overvolted you get my 200-500 hour estimate - again, this may be way off, I'm just guessing.

Just to elaborate on how I derived at the estimates in my previous post: Since NLI Tim said the 50W bulb produces around 1000 lumens, I assumed a directly proprtional relation between lumens and watts, so 1000 lumens * 35W/50W = 700 lumens with the 35W bulb and 1000 lumens * 20W/50W = 400 lumens with the 20W bulb. Not sure if my assumption is correct.

Also, NLI Tim posted that the bulbs should last a couple hundred hours.

The other stats are off the nocturnal lights webpage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom