No support for Tusa computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i did not know of this defect until the failure last week but with a bit of searching on the internet found out that this defect has been experienced by others. to me, that is a known manufacturers defect not a random anomaly which could be an altitude sensor failure or a software glitch. the mfg knew this but continued to sell the product. what part of lemon don't people understand. i was remiss in not researching this computer and finding out it was a troublesome unit so that was my fault. i expect a dive computer to last more than the 3 yrs of easy warm water use that i have had it wouldn't you? dive computers should have their warranty based upon # of dives not time that it might have been sitting in a gear bag. 2 yr could mean 30 or 300 dives. are the mfg's counting on people only diving a few times per yr? most people use TV's on a daily basis so the warranty is more realistic and no i would not expect to get a deal when the tv warranty is up but a little used dive computer that is safety related? yessss...

i did not know of this defect until the failure last week but with a bit of searching on the internet found out that this defect has been experienced by others. to me, that is a known manufacturers defect not a random anomaly which could be an altitude sensor failure or a software glitch. the mfg knew this but continued to sell the product. what part of lemon don't people understand. i was remiss in not researching this computer and finding out it was a troublesome unit so that was my fault. i expect a dive computer to last more than the 3 yrs of easy warm water use that i have had it wouldn't you? dive computers should have their warranty based upon # of dives not time that it might have been sitting in a gear bag. 2 yr could mean 30 or 300 dives. are the mfg's counting on people only diving a few times per yr? most people use TV's on a daily basis so the warranty is more realistic and no i would not expect to get a deal when the tv warranty is up but a little used dive computer that is safety related? yessss...

I've had some experience with this line of computers, dating back 10 years or so. The computer was manufactured by Seiko, and sold under various brands, including TUSA (IQ-700), Zeagle (N2ition), Cressi (Archemede), and Dive Rite (Nitek Duo). I had one go bad some years ago and TUSA replaced it no problem, but it was still being sold at the time. There was always a problem with the download software using any operating system other than Windows XP, and Seiko just didn't seem interested in fixing the problem--much to the chagrin of customers and companies distributing it under their brand. The software issues continued with the follow-on computer (A 3 gas version with electronic compass using the same casing) sold as the Nitek Trio and the N2Ition3, and I believe by IST. Overall, they were pretty good computers, but did have the problem you're talking about. I don't think this model (IQ-700) has been sold new for several years. You still occasionally see the 3 gas version being sold, mostly in clearance sales as bottom timers. Did you buy this one new? I still have my old IQ-700 and an N2Ition3. I use them in gauge mode as bottom timers, and they work well to back up my Shearwaters.

Sounds like you have an obsolete product that has failed and need a new computer. Look around--sometimes manufacturers offer discounts for turning in old computers (even non-working ones). I've even seen them take other manufacturers' products on trade-in once or twice during product promotions.

I had the Dive Rite Nitek Duos and a Nitek Trio, also made by Seiko. I loved the readability of the display and the ease of scrolling through the screens. However, all SIX of mine met tragic ends (four due to electronics failures, one due to theft and another stripped off my wrist by a bouncing boat hull in the Red Sea after the mooring line snapped). When my previous Nitek Trio died, Dive Rite had problems offering any support due to Seiko getting out of the dive computer business. Buy a new computer.

From what you describe it´s a pressure sensor failure. Whenever that part of the dive computer dies, the computer shows crazy depths as you report. The defect has no solution unless you replace the pressure sensor, which nobody will do because is a discontinued product. Get a new computer.

If it makes you feel any better, I can assure you that those TUSA models (and the similar Dive Rite Duos and Trios) are not the only computers on the market with defective pressure sensors. The Suunto Vypers, for instance, are very well known for that also. I´ve had in my hands at least a dozen of them that died from same illness.

Anyone know if he resolved this, or how?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom