No one talking about Wallin's closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to thank everyone for helping Wallin's go out with a bang. I am so sad to be leaving but as they say all good things must come to an end. Long story short, Wallin's was not given the option to renew the lease. After 17 years at this location and over 40 years in the Bay Area I am still mind boggled as to why. Obviously this was not an easy decision for the owners, but with losing the biggest asset, our pool, the options were very slim. I understand that not everyone was a fan, and I am sorry that those relationships were never salvaged, but please accept a truly heartfelt apology as all of us at Wallin's only wished to promote the thing we love most, diving. I finally decided to comment because of the way an industry changes people. Expectations and perceptions are consistently skewed, and as a result of that I think we often forget the bigger picture. Simply stated we dive because we enjoy the company of others who share the same interest, and of course to see amazingly cool critters! I personally can't wait to get some much needed dive time in. Thank you to all who have supported us through this tough and trying time. It has not been easy, but with great diving friends it sure makes the light at the end of the tunnel look more like a sunburst through some beautiful lush kelp!

I ran into the Ron, the owner of Wallin's today. Seems like he just did not want to put out the energy to move the store and find a new pool. I asked about the employees. Paul Keller, who did all the repairs of the last 10 years or so has taken a job at the Bamboo Reef in S.F. He always kept my Scubapro reg under the lifetime warranty. Good guy, I will visit him there. Margo is on the front page of Anywater's web page. She was a fixture at Wallin's for 25 years. Glen is back at Captain Aqua in Hayward, and I am sure Tiffany and Kippy will show up somewhere soon.

Sad to see Wallin's go, but there are other good stores in the area. Not sure which one I will choose, but it won't be the kayak store near Wallin's. Those guys don't seem to know much about diving, and nothing about equipment. I asked about repairs and they said they send everything out.

Ron said there is a party at the now empty Wallin's on Sunday the 26th, in the afternoon. Everybody is welcome. Karl Wallin who must be in his 80's now won't make it, he is in the hospital, but his wife Jill may. Other local dive stores will be there. Sounds like several store in the area helped him out closing it down. He seemed very appreciative. Should be a good time and we can find out where all the other instructors and employees are landing. Bring your own beverage, something to share and something to throw on the barbee.

O.S.D.

For the curious, Wallin's is re-opened now with new ownership, and most of the same awesome instructors. No retail location yet, but coming soon (or so I hear). Pool instruction is in San Mateo. Current course availability and registration is up on their website (wallins.com). Saw some great new reviews on Yelp so seems like things are going well. Was sorry to miss the Rebreather demo last weekend, hopefully there will be another one soon!

Always sad to see a shop close. In todays economey it isn't surprising. The cost of renting a pool is always the most expensive part of teaching. As more and more pools are used for private swim instructors, scuba instruction is fazed out...in our area the colleges won't allow us to use their pools and the high schools set the rental cost (over $100 and hour) so high they know we can't pay it. The cost of scuba instruction would have to be greatly increased per student. (this is all a personal beef of mine as our tax dollars built these pools!) If your shop is by a UC , they teach and can under cut you in cost because they have use of the pool.... Then the invent of the internet... a shop makes their money on sales, but more and more folks buy online because its cheaper...online can charge less because there is no or very little over head...it is really annoying to see someone come in and use your shop as a fitting room and then watch (yep some folks do this right in front of you!) as they check the price on the internet on their phone and order the item....so good bye local shops...good bye scuba instruction...good by airfills...maybe the future will be ocean side air stations and folks will just have to buy gear as you won't be able to rent...and online class rooms then go online and pay for a private instructor after you have found a pool.. something to think about as we all struggle to make ends meet..

Always sad to see a shop close. In todays economey it isn't surprising. The cost of renting a pool is always the most expensive part of teaching. As more and more pools are used for private swim instructors, scuba instruction is fazed out...in our area the colleges won't allow us to use their pools and the high schools set the rental cost (over $100 and hour) so high they know we can't pay it. The cost of scuba instruction would have to be greatly increased per student. (this is all a personal beef of mine as our tax dollars built these pools!) If your shop is by a UC , they teach and can under cut you in cost because they have use of the pool.... Then the invent of the internet... a shop makes their money on sales, but more and more folks buy online because its cheaper...online can charge less because there is no or very little over head...it is really annoying to see someone come in and use your shop as a fitting room and then watch (yep some folks do this right in front of you!) as they check the price on the internet on their phone and order the item....so good bye local shops...good bye scuba instruction...good by airfills...maybe the future will be ocean side air stations and folks will just have to buy gear as you won't be able to rent...and online class rooms then go online and pay for a private instructor after you have found a pool.. something to think about as we all struggle to make ends meet..

While all this might be true (or not), I was under the impression that Wallin's closure was most directly related to its lease situation. By having lost the lease to the location which had the pool, Wallin's effectively lost the one key feature/advantage it had over other dive shops in the area.

San Mateo has been home to a great little dive shop called Scuba Fusion for about seven years. They have been really helpful in getting me get geared up after I left all my old dive gear in Indonesia. (it was over 10 years old and not exactly the best even when new). So, while I don't know anything about Wallins, I CAN tell you that Scuba Fusion has a well stocked store and there is a great LDS in San Mateo that goes out of there way to make you feel at home no matter what your skill level or experience.

http://scubafusion.com/

Just FYI we are still here, now located at the San Mateo Elks Lodge with a heated pool on site. We have a small retail space and are a Scubapro dealer. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom