(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know, Em, you're right. She really screwed up. The whole economy of the Keys is a big vat of empty hotel rooms and empty dive boats because of her raving hysteria here on Scubaboard. I think Pete should sue her ass to obliviation for posting such erronious information and being responsible for the demise of the diving in the Florida Keys.

You happy now?

Speaking of hysterical. :eek:hbrother:

She was corrected early in the thread... Let it go

She continued to argue that she was correct through the first 50 posts and never did admit she might be wrong. A simple "I guess the oil slick reported by the friend of my 17 year old friend turned out to have nothing to do with the BP disaster" would have gone a long way. She never let it go but I'm willing to admit she was wrong :rofl3:

Well, I did receive this PM just a bit ago. I won't use the person's user name

I've been following the oil in the keys thread, as I'm going to the Keys next month. Is the young lady serious about trying to punish the lady who started the thread?? I know people seem to joke on here, but the tone in that thread is odd. Is she going to call the scuba police to draw and quarter her? Is this normal around this place? If so, I'm going to continue to just read.

I believe the point that Em was trying to make was that since people deemed what the media did as wrong, the OP should receive the same because she did nothing less. She tried to get people panicked just as the media.

I can see that and without stretching.

I believe the point that Em was trying to make was that since people deemed what the media did as wrong, the OP should receive the same because she did nothing less. She tried to get people panicked just as the media.

I can see that and without stretching.
I can understand that.

Let me ask
Do you believe the OP has the same readership as the media?
Do you believe the OP has the same obligation to subscribers?

I ask these questions because I do not believe either answer is "yes". If the answers are not "yes" then one would not logically hold the OP to the same scrutiny they would hold the media.

Please... no fighting in the war room! :D

This is the best part about user generated content: you get to make your mind up from a number of people with differing opinions. I don't believe the intent by Speargirl was to end diving in the Keys as we know it. Au Contrare, it appears that she is actually one of the victims of the media induced hysteria. Also, unlike the media, I don't see how she could have benefited one whit by her statements.

In direct contrast, the broadcast media has presented only ONE possibility here: complete and utter reef devastation throughout all of Florida. It is my humble opinion that this was handled in this way to increase their ratings and to profit from our misfortune. It's disgusting and utterly void of of any ethics. I have even had friends contact me from the left coast to specifically ask how I plan to continue to dive. Really. These were not responses from this thread, but from the video and absurd extrapolations broadcast median has passed off as solid fact rather than the fanciful conjecture that it was. They are indeed PROFITS of doom.

Finally, we do not condone or allow user generated punishments here on ScubaBoard. Physical threats are simply not tolerated and the practice of ganging up on a specific person by a group (dogpiling) is against the ToS. Also not allowed is the practice of stalking a specific user with intent to harass or embarrass them. Should you see any indication of this, please make swift use of the
report.gif
Post button in the lower left of every single post here on ScubaBoard. State your case, disagree if you must, but then as Cool Tech suggested: "Let it go."
Tos:

Actually, given the situation ScubaBoard is in right now, I find it pretty disturbing that Pete would suggest suing anyone for a free speech issue...

Well, I did receive this PM just a bit ago. I won't use the person's user name

Maybe if Becky's rants had been gone unchecked this person wouldn't be going to the Keys next month. IJS...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom