(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Jeff Masters is usually an excellent source for information. I would always turn to him in times of storms to get the real spin on things rather than the weather channel's every storm is a killer storm outlook.

Actually Jeff Masters is usually an excellent source for information. I would always turn to him in times of storms to get the real spin on things rather than the weather channel's every storm is a killer storm outlook.

I imagine Jeff Masters is an excellent meteorologist; he has a most impressive biograpy! I would also trust him for information on the current movements of the Loop.

I would like to hear from a chemical scientist or chemical engineer that works in the oil field and preferably in the disaster recovery sector of the oil industry.

My niece's husband is a chemical engineer, but his specialty is catalytic converters. I would be skeptical of his opinion on the oil spill, too.

That's for sure. Their reporters are usually set up on the coast's edge just behind a wildly twisting palm frond or tree branch during telecasts...:shakehead:

Forecast for 1200 CDT May 24, 2010:
This map shows the predicted location of oil that has potentially entered the loop current. Currents were obtained from
four models: NOAA Gulf of Mexico, West Florida Shelf/USF, NRL IASNFS and NC State SABGOM. Each include
Loop Current dynamics. The model was initialized from Saturday satellite imagery analysis (NOAA/NESDIS) and
observations from a Saturday overflights. The leading edge may contain tarballs that are not readily observable from the
imagery (hence not included in the model initialization).

Map here

The most recent satellite imagery indicates that the portion of the oil previously observed moving to the SE towards
the Loop Current (LC) has largely been entrained into a counter-clockwise rotating eddy to the north of the LC.
Overflight observations report this oil is in the form of very scattered light sheens. It is possible for sheens on the
southern edge of the eddy to become entrained into the LC and persist as very widely scattered tarballs not visible
from imagery.
Model trajectories do not indicate additional oil from the source region will move south towards the LC during this
forecast period.

lol it's not related to the oil spill incident "but we dont know where it's coming from"

ya right...

That sucks.

It's very true that these Tar Balls may not be related to the oil spill.
Tar Balls have been with us forever...it's just that we're more aware of them now that this disaster is in the news.
They come from the bilge being pumped from large ships such as oil tankers, cruise line and cargo vessels.
We've probably all seen them before.....we just didn't realize they were Tar Balls.
The EPA slams fines on the owners of said ships IF and WHEN they are caught, which isn't very often.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom