No more mouth to mouth for heart attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And... stopping to give breaths is non-productive? the pump has to be "re-primed". I know what the ACLS standards are I am an Instructor. We are talking about lay CPR here correct??? I want to ensure that the lay person is not getting confused with advanced training techniques.

ACD-CPR is another technique developed to improve the efficiency of CPR. Decreasing intrathoracic pressure during the decompression phase of CPR is thought to enhance venous return and thereby "prime the pump" for the next compression. ACD-CPR is performed with a hand-held device equipped with a suction cup to actively lift the anterior chest during decompression. Early laboratory and clinical data showed that acute hemodynamic parameters such as arterial blood pressure and vital organ perfusion are superior with use of ACD-CPR compared with standard CPR. Clinical outcome data is less consistent and suggests that technique and training are critical.

With an increasing fear of disease among the public, some people may be reluctant to perform the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation portion of CPR. The American Heart Association is now recommending that 911 emergency dispatchers be trained to instruct reluctant bystanders in the compression-only CPR that involves no mouth contact. The technique involves pushing down on the victim's chest to force air into the lungs, which can help a heart attack victim survive three to five minutes long--possibly enough time until emergency medical services arrive.

Fish_Whisperer:
I had a patient vomit in my mouth, once. It's not that big a deal. Spit it out and keep going.

And...get: HIV, Hep. A,B,C tests not a big deal....you can skip lunch if you swallow also...

Id love to see some of the clinical trials preformed in a real life setting. I could elaborate but the folks in the field know what Im talking about.
What needs to be avoided is the now popular idea that lay people do not need to even try mouth to mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom