No More Free Luggage on Cayman Airways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, it's the total cost and convenience, personal for each of us.
Jet Blue flys at pretty much the same times/days as Cayman Airways out of JFK. We actually switched from Jet Blue to Cayman Airways 4 years ago because of the 2 free checked bags per person. For travel to Grand Cayman from JFK in NY, Cayman Airways is in no way more convenient than Jet Blue, so why “piss” $50 away for absolutely nothing? That’s a few shore dives at Macabuca!

Last edited:
Jet Blue flys at pretty much the same times/days as Cayman Airways out of JFK. We actually switched from Jet Blue to Cayman Airways 4 years ago because of the 2 free checked bags person. For travel to Grand Cayman from JFK in NY, Cayman Airways is in no way more convenient than Jet Blue, so why “piss” $50 away for absolutely nothing? That’s a few shore dives at Macabuca!
Right, personal for each of us, very glad you worked it out for you from your location. I have some loyalty to my airline alliance for the perks, you may not. I fly a fair amount each year. I have no interest in Cayman Airways

Right, personal for each of us, very glad you worked it out for you.
I get that - I’m just wondering why anyone would spend an extra $50 for zero benefit?

I have nothing against Cayman Airways and have not had any issues with them in the last 4 years (but had no issues with Jet Blue either) - I’m flying with them again this summer.

I’m just curious to understand the opposing rationale for spending the extra $.

Last edited:
This is such a small addition to the cost of a wonderful scuba vacation, why is it so important to many of you?
Its not a big deal but it is noteworthy. CA stood out for providing 2 free bags, a free hot meal and free rum punch. NYC to GCM is a competitive market and there are a number of airlines providing nonstop flights. Price and flight arrival and departure times are my factors in choosing the airline to GCM. In the past the free bags made the difference in picking CA over say a JB or other carrier. My only point was without the free bags, they may be less competitive option from NYC. $100 for bags won't make a difference of whether I go to GCM but it may make a difference on whether I choose to fly CA to GCM. That's all.

And JetBlue has wider seats, more leg room and Entertainment in each seat....they also DONT fly 737-200 model antiquated airplanes :eek:...I know they have a -800, but we were on the 200 from JFK last December....but I'm flying CA in January...$520RT JFK-Brac.

Right, personal for each of us, very glad you worked it out for you from your location. I have some loyalty to my airline alliance for the perks, you may not. I fly a fair amount each year. I have no interest in Cayman Airways
You appear to have edited your post after I had responded to add relevant details on why you seemed not bothered by wasting money on new fees.

Fair enough - if you fly them enough to qualify for perks and higher level Sir Turtle rewards status, then these changes may have no impact on you. However, for those that only fly to GCM once or twice a year (likely a larger group of flyers), the changes remove the nice advantage that Cayman Airways has had over competitors - and actually puts them at a disadvantage (unless they do lower fares as well).

Last edited:
You appear to have edited your post after I had responded to add relevant details on why you seemed not bothered by wasting money on new fees.

Fair enough - if you fly them enough to qualify for perks and higher level Sir Turtle rewards status, then these changes may have no impact on you. However, for those that fly to GCM once or twice a year (likely a larger group of flyers), the changes remove the nice advantage that Cayman Airways has had over competitors - and actually puts them at a disadvantage (unless they do lower fares as well).
I was actually alluding to why I choose to fly American out of Philadelphia

I was actually alluding to why I choose to fly American out of Philadelphia
Ok - not sure why you seemed to have been pushing back on the valid concern that the new baggage fees present to those of us who actually have been flying Cayman Airways to GCM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom