No More Free Luggage on Cayman Airways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I will look to see how their fares compare with their competitors going forward. This may end up costing them business, at least from JFK.

Bold move. I think it's going to cost them a lot of business with Southwest offering 2 bags free.

Bold move. I think it's going to cost them a lot of business with Southwest offering 2 bags free.
It now makes Jet Blue a better option out of JFK in NY as you’ll get 1 bag free versus 0 with Cayman Airways for about the same ticket price! Bummer, and a bad move in my opinion. I always fly Cayman as I liked the 2 free checked bags deal - that will likely change now

We booked with them a few weeks ago...will have to check our details.

Edit...tickets purchased AFTER 8/2018.

This article includes some reactions to the change:

About | Cayman Marl Road

I wonder why the baggage fees are higher for New York and Chicago, maybe it is more expensive for CAL to operate planes out of those airports?

"...Normal Economy Class tickets purchased on or after August 1, 2018 will attract a fee at the check-in counter of US$20 per bag each way for the first and second checked bags on all international flights, with the exception of New York and Chicago flights where the fees will be US$25 for the first checked bag and US$35 for the second checked bag, each way..."

In Chicago they should consider Midway Airport if ORD is too expensive. Southwest flies out of Midway, and I believe that Southwest flies LaGuardia Airport in New York.

Last edited:
That policy is probably going to hurt them financially I wonder if you will be allowed to "purchase" bag fees with accumulated frequent flier miles.

This is such a small addition to the cost of a wonderful scuba vacation, why is it so important to many of you?
It’s not a big deal - it’s just basic economics.

Why would I spend an extra $50 for the privilege to fly Cayman Air and check 1 bag with scuba gear each way, when I can fly Jet Blue for the same fare or even lower and be able to check that bag for free each way.

I’d rather have a few drinks with that $50. Unless they lower the airfare to offset, they lost me as a customer.

Last edited:
It’s not a big deal - it’s just basic economics.

Why would I spend an extra $50 for the privilege to fly Cayman Air and check 1 bag with Scuba gear each way, when I can fly Jet Blue for the same fare or even lower and be able to check that bag for free each way.

I’d rather have a few drinks with that $50. Unless they lower the airfare to offset, they lost me as a customer.
Right, it's the total cost and convenience, personal for each of us.

Back
Top Bottom