No More Free Luggage on Cayman Airways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it's just not about the extra $25 or $100 bucks, but about the general attitude of an airline.

Southwest's moves and policies generally seem oriented towards making the average customers experience better, and I'm not sure I can say the same for any of the the other major US carriers.

I agree with both statements. It is far more convenient for me to fly United non-stop from Houston to Grand Cayman. But after my last few experiences with United, I will go out of my way to avoid them now. I honestly believe that the average United employee sees their customers not as a valued resource that pays their salary, but instead as a necessary evil that comes along with doing what they see as their real job of getting a plane from point A to point B. Southwest seems to do everything they can to make the customer experience better, while United seems to do everything they can to make their employee's jobs easier, even if it comes at the expense of ticking off the customer. The whole "preferred" seating rows situation on United is just ridiculous. Once the cabin door closes, those empty seats are a sunk cost that will never be recovered by United. Refusing to let somebody sitting in a middle seat move up there to be more comfortable is a stupid mistake on United's part that sends a clear message that the dollar is far more important to them than the customer's satisfaction.

Airlines use whatever tools they can to make their business model work - their "bottom line". While people will still blindly go onto flight fare search sites and book what appears to be the cheapest, regardless of what the extra costs are for bags, food, size of seats, etc., and regardless of the quality of service on the flight, what incentive do the airlines have to improve? Most people will still book whatever is the cheapest, with the fewest legs possible. The Low Cost Carriers (LCC's) led the way with cutting back on the service in the name of price, and the others followed, because it was a business model that would make them more money (or stop them going belly up).

Bottom line is that your average passenger books based on price and number of legs, and nothing else - and then feels disgruntled when they are charged extra for everything, the seats are small, the boarding procedure is dumb, there's not enough room in the overheads, the seats are too small, etc. What incentive does the market have to change?

There's ways around baggage fees...Delta AMEX offers 2 free bags on any trip...other cards do the same. One can usually gate check for no charge. Kyack now offers apples to apples comparison with costs associated with baggage prior to checking out and then finding out a bag cost $50 on XYZ.

I was recently charged $207.00 on Iceland Air from Helsinki for two bags....this charge was unbeknownst to me (wife booked this leg)...baggage was missing for two days and I requested and received my $207 back:-

Its all a game. Delta made more money from baggage fees in 2016 than ticket sales!

If I read it correctly, it is 20 bucks per bag for number one and two (40 bucks total) - and they did significantly reduce excess baggage fees - which if you end up on one of the twin otters could be substantial.

also if I read correctly this is for international flights only - still two free within Cayman Islands

If I read it correctly, it is 20 bucks per bag for number one and two (40 bucks total) - and they did significantly reduce excess baggage fees - which if you end up on one of the twin otters could be substantial.

also if I read correctly this is for international flights only - still two free within Cayman Islands

My understanding is that the fees on Cayman Express did not change unless you are booking from an international destination straight through to LC. I almost always fly in on United or Southwest, so my flight to LC is a domestic flight.

Cayman Airways will begin charging extra for premium seat selection in the future.

CAL explains seat selection costs

CAL explains seat selection costs
Cayman News | 03/10/2018 |
I have heard that Cayman Airways will soon be charging passengers for seat selection on flights. Could you find out if this is true?

Auntie’s answer: I would have to say the answer is a bit yes but mostly no. Fabian Whorms, Cayman Airways president and CEO, explained that the airline will be making changes to the seat-selection system.

Upgrades to the reservation system will allow passengers the option of purchasing certain premium seats that are not currently available for selection, Mr Whorms said. The way it works now, Cayman Airways assigns those seats at the departing airport. In addition, it is free for passengers to choose seats online that are available on the seating map.

Eventually, passengers will be given the option to purchase premium seats and the functionality to enable that will be put in place within 90 days, Mr Whorms said. But the plans for implementing the system have not been finalised.

Delta AMEX offers 2 free bags on any trip...other cards do the same.
For Delta it is one free bag each direction. For American it is only for domestic flights.

Southwest continues to expand their nonstop Caribbean flights (with free checked bags!) see below. I wish that they would offer a nonstop between MDW and GCM.

http://investors.southwest.com/news-and-events/news-releases/2018/11-15-2018-110443314

November 15, 2018
Additional Nonstop Flights to Takeoff in June 2019
Effective June 9, 2019, Southwest will add the following daily nonstop options for travelers...

New International Routes

Southwest also announced today it will be adding seasonal service on Saturdays effective June 15, 2019, between:

Baltimore/Washington and Grand Cayman*
Houston (Hobby) and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic*
*Routes are subject to government approvals.

Also see:
http://cayman27.ky/2018/11/southwest-to-adds-baltimore-flights-coming-in-june/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom