No manta, Yes mola, in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, God. We dove at Nusa Penida on 23rd and 24th Sep.. We had to visit the Manta Point.

I have no idea why the divemaster from Baliscuba told us there was no manta.

I just got back from Bali. We only did 1 day of diving in the Nusa Penida area last Monday. Was told the same by the shop we were using, BIDP, that the mantas were MIA lately so we opted to do a 2nd dive in Crystal Bay. Froze our @rses off; 16c at one point during our second dive! Saw a couple of freaks in shorties... amazing... Must be ice divers from some Scandinavian country... :wink:

Well we did get a baby mola on first dive... until is got surrounded by 20-30 divers... :eek:

I just got back from Bali. We only did 1 day of diving in the Nusa Penida area last Monday. Was told the same by the shop we were using, BIDP, that the mantas were MIA lately so we opted to do a 2nd dive in Crystal Bay. Froze are @rses off; 16c at one point during our second dive! Saw a couple of freaks in shorties... amazing... Must be ice divers from some Scandinavian country... :wink:

Well we did get a baby mola on first dive... until is got surrounded by 20-30 divers... :eek:

We were with BIDP too, she told us the same that there were no manta recently, but eventually we saw half a dozen :no

We were with BIDP too, she told us the same that there were no manta recently, but eventually we saw half a dozen :no

hehehe... must be a conspiracy by Avandy (BIDP owner) to keep people like me from scaring off the mantas at manta pt. ...:eyebrow:

Froze our @rses off; 16c at one point during our second dive! Saw a couple of freaks in shorties... amazing... Must be ice divers from some Scandinavian country... :wink:

Our boat had a guy from northern europe who was in shorties. But he did not feel any cold. Also we saw a crazy guy who did not wear any wetsuit. He worn just swimsuit.

I was wearing 3mm fullsuit + 3mm shorty but it was really cold.

Ahhhh- i think i know what happened. The Indonesians are very polite and friendly. Your dive guide didn't want to hurt your feelings by telling you the dive plans did not include Manta point. Instead, he told you the mantas are no longer there. That way, you wouldn't be angry with him. Viva la cultural differences!
You will see mantas on another dive trip.
best wishes,
cuppajoe

cuppajoe. That's what I was guessing.

But when I first contacted dive operator to make a reservation I told them I eagerly wanted to see Mantas and Molamolas. They gave us program with 3 days at Tulamben and 2 days at Nusa Penida. I do not understand why their dive plan did not include Manta Point. We had 2 days, 6 dives, at Nusa Penida. Is diving at Manta Point require extra enterance fee?

Well I have plan to visit Bali again to see the Mantas and enjoy Baliness culture. Then what should I tell the operator to visit manta point?

cuppajoe. That's what I was guessing.

But when I first contacted dive operator to make a reservation I told them I eagerly wanted to see Mantas and Molamolas. They gave us program with 3 days at Tulamben and 2 days at Nusa Penida. I do not understand why their dive plan did not include Manta Point. We had 2 days, 6 dives, at Nusa Penida. Is diving at Manta Point require extra enterance fee?

Well I have plan to visit Bali again to see the Mantas and enjoy Baliness culture. Then what should I tell the operator to visit manta point?

Last year I was told the same thing by AquaMarine. The Mantas had not been seen in a couple of weeks and since I was only going to dive that area the one day they suggested I do Crystal Bay......glad I did saw 2 big Mola Molas.....plus I've seen plenty of Mantas in Kona, Christmas Island or Palau.....but they are cool.

If it were me, I would send an e-mail to the owner of the dive shop that sold me the dive package. Politely express disappointment that the guide refused to take me to manta point, even though mantas were present and were seen by those who dived that site on the days I wanted to go.
Let the owner know that you will be returning to Bali and will book with them again, but only if you are given a complimentary dive at Manta Point. It is a fair request.
I am not surprised that other dive outfits offer the same excuse when they don't want to dive a particular site. The Indonesian dive guides do not like to say "no" to guests, so this is what they say, instead. You can't change the culture. But you can learn to read between the lines.
best wishes,
cuppajoe

Did anyone who was diving in Bali during late September heard that there was no Mola Mola? I was diving with BIDP and the dive guides kept telling us that
there was no Mola Mola. (She kept mentioning the phase "No la No la"). We did 3 dives in Crystal Bay only in 3 days (27th, 28th and 1st Oct) and the dives were short, only around 35min and I still have more than 100 bar when doing safety stops. I felt that they were very cold during the dive and hence they shorten the dives. (temp. were around 17C only). We were really disappointed as we didn't find any Mola Mola eventually.
She also told us that there were no Manta in Manta point but it was great that we saw more than 5 eventually(on our first dive at round 9:30am on 27th Sep).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom