Good location in Indonesia for Manta rays, Whale sharks, and mola mola?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

44556j

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to find a place in Indonesia that has all three of these animals: manta rays, whale sharks, and mola mola (ocean sunfish). I know you can find both reef and oceanic mantas in Raja Ampat, Whale sharks in Cenderawasih Bay, and Mola mola in Crystal Bay in Bali. I also heard that Triton Bay is a good area to observe whale sharks. I read that sometimes you can observe both species for example in Triton Bay or Raja Ampat but it is very rare, I am looking for a place where they are more common together (I know of the Maldives but I am not going to that country).

I need someone who has dove in all three of these locations in Indonesia to tell me if you observed both manta rays and whale sharks and if it is possible to encounter both species in what area along with mola mola (or if mola are only common in Crystal Bay).

Thanks

Mola Mola are almost unheard of in RA. We saw one in Dampier Straight and it was a very big deal.

I have seen them in South Komodo, but that was also unexpected. We were at that location to see Manta. My understanding is that it was unexpected but not rare, while in RA it is extremely rare. I have also seen one in Alor and this was reasonably common, but you will not see Mantas or Whalesharks in Alor.

The are all in Alor, Indonesia! Whale sharks seasonal, but mola mola and manta rays year round. There are also hammerheads and tresher shark here !

The are all in Alor, Indonesia! Whale sharks seasonal, but mola mola and manta rays year round. There are also hammerheads and tresher shark here !
I look forward to seeing Mantas when I visit you next November!

Curious where to see mantas in Alor ? Is there a place to see them reliably ?

On the original question, the only place I have seen WS, manta and mola mola in Indonesia was off Nusa Penida (but i was told whale shark were fairly rare).

Mola mola also seen in Alor and South Komodo; mantas in many places..l

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom