No Diving Experience Rental or Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silentstorm78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone, I have no proper diving experience but getting ready to attend a class, instead of renting I decided to just purchase my gears, I do alot of research reading and the very first thing I read about before entering a sport are the accidents/fatality the reason being is it makes me respect the sport and push me to be responsible.

I am looking into purchasing this gear from Dolphin Scuba, my goal is to have a complete gear that I can take to the class with me, some might tell me why not try to rent first before purchasing, I did some free diving when I was a kid at our local rivers and just loved it, so I know this is one sport I would like to progress and enjoy for many safe years.

Scubapro Cayman Luna SCUBA Mens Package | Dolphin Scuba Center

I would like to get your feedback, regarding this scuba package.

Thank you.

I would suggest - and many will echo - that you're better off using shop gear for your class. See if you like it, what you like about it, what you don't, etc. During your training talk to different instructors and DMs about what they dive. See what other divers are diving when you do your OW dives. Ask them about it. Rent some different kind of gear on a few different dives when you get certified.

I bought all my own gear right after certification... and replaced it all within a few months, after realizing I bought all the wrong gear. There's a reason why there are so many sets of "like new" gear on ebay, craigslist, etc.

Wait for now, buy your second set of gear first.

I agree. Every class I know of includes the rental/use of your scuba gear, as opposed to your presonal gear like mask, fins and snorkle for use during the class so why not use their gear and get at least a little familure with dive gear in general before making a blind purchase.
I will also warn you that most dive shops and frankly a lot of "experienced" divers will automatically recommend the top of the line in brand X- it's always the brand they sell or their instructor told them was the best. When anyone starts spouting that brand X is so much better than brand Y or this is "life support gear" so you want the best you can buy.....your BS meter should peg high because you are either being given the hard sale or talking to a diver who believed the entire hard sell they were given. Fact is there is little actual performance difference in the mid range model of any brand and the top of the line in any brand....the price difference however can be great. I do recommend you buy a better known brand rather than a house brand or a brand that has little following. Not because they are not good but dive gear needs to be serviced which requires you to find a service center. Most any of the larger, older brands are fairly easy to find dealers for but some brands are a lot harder to find dealers for than others. Some times this is just a regional thing but some of the larger outlets have house brands that only they will service. Visit the dive shops that have service centers with in a reasonable driving distance from your home and keep an eye on the brands they sell, that will give you an idea of what is popular in your area.
While on the subject do not write off used gear. No doubt you will be told that "this is life support gear so never buy used". Frankly that is pure BS for a number of reasons but bottom line is this. Every single one of us dive used gear on every dive, the difference is who used it last. Gear does need to be properly maintained and cared for but just because it was not you who did that the last time does not make it unsafe....consider that rental gear is used by hundreds of tempory "owners" who could care less about it and there are few gear related accidents involving rental gear. Used gear can be a great buy if you know what you are looking for and understand all that goes with the purchase.

Depends in part on how much free cash you have and whether there is local diving. If you have plenty of cash and there is local diving, then buy your own gear. Makes it easy to do more diving early on with out constant treks to the LDS. Then as you get experience you can adjust your gear and purchase something different if you want. If you get serious you may wind up with several sets of gear and tanks depending on the type of diving and season.

On the other hand if you are more of a vacation diver and have less cash, rent.

There is also gear and core gear. I will often rent if I am on business travel and just doing a couple dives in another location. Except I almost always bring my own core gear: regulators, two presecription masks, dive computers plus sometimes other stuff that is location dependent. I want the stuff that manages my dive and connects me to air to be my own. I know it is kept up. I know how it works.

Without getting into all the reasons why you should wait to buy your gear, all I will say is that you can get way better deals on gear if you shop around .

Scubapro makes great stuff, but so do a lot of other companies, and your not paying for a name

I love people who, before diving/ classes, buy everything. A lot shows up on eBay so the rest of us can get real good deals on gear thats almost new.
So be good to the community and..
Or maybe you better wait and use the gear the LDS supplies for the course!

Hello Everyone, I have no proper diving experience but getting ready to attend a class, instead of renting I decided to just purchase my gears, I do alot of research reading and the very first thing I read about before entering a sport are the accidents/fatality the reason being is it makes me respect the sport and push me to be responsible.

I am looking into purchasing this gear from Dolphin Scuba, my goal is to have a complete gear that I can take to the class with me, some might tell me why not try to rent first before purchasing, I did some free diving when I was a kid at our local rivers and just loved it, so I know this is one sport I would like to progress and enjoy for many safe years.

Scubapro Cayman Luna SCUBA Mens Package | Dolphin Scuba Center

I would like to get your feedback, regarding this scuba package.

Thank you.

Where are you taking your open water class?
why not give the LDS that you are taking the class a chance to sell you the gear?
I am located not too far from you-Yonkers NY-about 35 minutes by car, and the facility I teach out of sells Scubapro gear. we would not only price match and perhaps beat that price, but would include without you asking a regulator bag, free access to our onsite heated indoor pool whenever you like, tank and weight rentals for your training dives would be at NO charge if you do your class with us.and we will be sure that the gear would fit you properly. Use it in our pool and if does not work/fit the way you like we will trade it for something else that will instantly on the spot..OR..If you are taking your class at Orbit Marine, he may be close to you in CT, just talk to Noel and tell him what you found online and he will also most likely price match.

some might tell me why not try to rent first before purchasing
Nearly everyone is going to tell you to wait.

Yes, one reason not to buy gear before class is because some people can't or don't continue, maybe that isn't you. But the other big reason is until you have at least a little experience and tried out some gear, it's really difficult to pick gear that you're not going to regret soon. Considering a pre-selected package is generally a sign you don't have enough knowledge about gear yet to make a decision. And as far as a package that is all from one manufacturer - typically some manufacturers are better choices for some things, and some are better for others. That, and preferences and fit, will soon lead you to pick different items from different manufacturers.

The AIR2 sounds good on paper to many new divers, and some people do like them. But I'd guess many more don't. There are a number of drawbacks to them that you should learn about. (The rental gear I learned to dive with had one, and that convinced me to buy a separate octo when I bought my gear.)

The only reason I can think of for buying some gear beyond the basics usually required (mask etc.) is if you are a difficult fit. So in some cases I can see getting a wetsuit if you will be using it later, and in very rare cases a BC. But not a reg or computer.

In contrast to other posters, I in fact bought a full set of gear including wet suit before my first class session, and I have never regretted it. I made the conscious decision because (a) I had the first scuba trip planned whihc would follow certification completion by only 6 weeks, (b) I was convinced that I would be a more active diver if I invested a couple of thousand dollars in the sport, whihc has proven true, and (c) as a new student I took advantage of a 15% discounts on everything I bought. I chose Sherwood regulators and computer z( this was 1997), a SeaQuest BCD, and then lots of accessories like a knife, lights, mask, snorkel and fins, etc. I fell in love with scuba in about 30 seconds, so it all worked out. If you have the financila ability and the desire, go ahead and purchase your equipment. It's good to have your own, to be sure it is ptroperly maintained and cared for, and to be familiar with it on every dive.
DvemasterDennis

Put the wear and tear of training on the rental gear, then buy what you want.

Back
Top Bottom