No dive ops have replied to my emails!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I'm starting to get a bit nervous. I emailed my preferred Cozumel dive operator (not that I've been to Cozumel before, but reading lots of posts here gave me a clear and strong preference for a particular company) a couple of weeks ago with particulars of our trip about 6 weeks later, what days we wanted to dive, etc. I got an auto-reply saying that they'd gotten the email and would reply before long. After nearly a week with nothing further I phoned, only to learn they were fully booked for much of our stay. They nicely provided names of two alternates. Now, neither has responded to emails from last week, or at least I haven't received any replies.

I prefer email for this sort of thing because I can get my thoughts organized ahead of time to make my request succinct and clear and because it gives me clear responses. Plus, I don't have to try frantically scribbling down everything during a phone call. I know Cozumel hasn't had the most reliable internet service lately, but I'm wondering if it can really be that bad or if it's me. I'm starting to worry that we'll show up in July and be stuck using Scuba Du at the Presidente.

mstevens:
I'm starting to get a bit nervous. I emailed my preferred Cozumel dive operator (not that I've been to Cozumel before, but reading lots of posts here gave me a clear and strong preference for a particular company) a couple of weeks ago with particulars of our trip about 6 weeks later, what days we wanted to dive, etc. I got an auto-reply saying that they'd gotten the email and would reply before long. After nearly a week with nothing further I phoned, only to learn they were fully booked for much of our stay. They nicely provided names of two alternates. Now, neither has responded to emails from last week, or at least I haven't received any replies.

I prefer email for this sort of thing because I can get my thoughts organized ahead of time to make my request succinct and clear and because it gives me clear responses. Plus, I don't have to try frantically scribbling down everything during a phone call. I know Cozumel hasn't had the most reliable internet service lately, but I'm wondering if it can really be that bad or if it's me. I'm starting to worry that we'll show up in July and be stuck using Scuba Du at the Presidente.

I understand email is a great way to communicate... with some. If it was me and I needed answers I would have to make the call. Im not even just talking about MX but even stateside. If you need info you probably have to call. Otherwise its on someone elses schedule.

Bite the bullet my friend, if you need to type the info as you listen, you could even have everything you need to ask already in format from your emails. Another option could be a tape recorder.

We all wish emails would get to who they need to when they need to. The reality is that email is luxury those with a lot of time can handle better. If these opps are busy they may not even get back to you... ever.

we are using a guy named Tony. Don't know when you are going, but he will let you stay down for max allowable time. I will PM you with his e-mail address. He replies to us the same day or within 24 hrs. Don't know if you can type dive op e-mails on here or not.

Melissa

I had the same problem. However we then contacted Jorge at Sea Urchin Dive and was pleasently surprised. He was incredibly responsive and answered all my many many emails. And we had a great time diving with him.

ScubaMarine:
I understand email is a great way to communicate... with some. If it was me and I needed answers I would have to make the call. Im not even just talking about MX but even stateside. If you need info you probably have to call. Otherwise its on someone elses schedule.

Bite the bullet my friend, if you need to type the info as you listen, you could even have everything you need to ask already in format from your emails. Another option could be a tape recorder.

We all wish emails would get to who they need to when they need to. The reality is that email is luxury those with a lot of time can handle better. If these opps are busy they may not even get back to you... ever.

I have booked all over the world by E and not had a problem.

IMHO If they can not answer within 24 hrs move on they are not worth bothering with, it shows lack of organization and I don't want to dive with a organization like that.

ScubaMarine:

It turns out that these are places that all say that they prefer email. Some have online forms that they request one fill out. I can certainly understand that some people prefer not to use email (I, for example, absolutely refuse to use it in my work), but in my opinion those individuals would be better off not saying they prefer it.

cdiver2:
I have booked all over the world by E and not had a problem.

IMHO If they can not answer within 24 hrs move on they are not worth bothering with, it shows lack of organization and I don't want to dive with a organization like that.

That would be my thought, EXCEPT my initial choice is very highly regarded here, as are the alternatives offered. I can't imagine they're that hopeless. I'm left thinking either Coz has unreliable connections that are putting people's livelihoods at risk, that my ISP or email filters are not letting replies through, or I'm somehow ticking people off...

mstevens:
That would be my thought, EXCEPT my initial choice is very highly regarded here, as are the alternatives offered. I can't imagine they're that hopeless. I'm left thinking either Coz has unreliable connections that are putting people's livelihoods at risk, that my ISP or email filters are not letting replies through, or I'm somehow ticking people off...

You answered your own question in the first post "they are fully booked" so why waste time answering e mails when there is going to be no return on it for them.

I have a friend in St Lucia even more backward (electronics wise) and we are in daily contact. Sure it go's down at his end now and again but never for a day.

One thing I've experienced before with emails to Mexico, specifically Cozumel, is that some email providers (most notably AOL, but others as well) will sometimes filter out mail from .mx without further provocation or justification.

May not be the dive operators, but your email provider. Just in case, try a different account if you have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom