No dive operators operating in Darwin Australia Dec 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bert van den Berg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm visiting my son in Darwin Australia and was hoping to get to do a wreck dive during my visit. Trying to contact a dive operator was an exercise in frustration and futility. None of the operators listed on Google are operating any longer. A new dive shop Dive Air Darwin Diveair Darwin NT is trying to gear up for dive trips next year but told me no-one is operating here any longer.

Bert

Yes thats what we found too. Travelled from SA to Darwin then WA and most of the top end towns have no dive operator. Not enough customers for them. Very frustrating. We carted dive gear half way around australia and never got one dive in at all in 2 months.

I did a few dives in Darwin and nearby in 1999. As a result I know why there is no dive industry there now. Huge tides mean you could only dive for a few days each month, water is dirty anyway due to silt from huge wet season runoff and you have to worry about crocodiles. Very average dives, although the locals thought that the conditions on the dives was okay.

I was aware of the tides and the SubAqua dive club in Darwin has a very nice webpage showing when the tides are minimal (2-3 days every two weeks).

I too carted some dive gear from New Zealand which is getting free round trip air travel :) without having to perform.

Those Aussies in the Northern Territory who believe that the diving in Darwin is 'OK' should try diving at the Poor Knights in New Zealand - but then they will never be happy at home again.

I live in Darwin and this is very much the case based on my research and chatting to my dad whom used to dive here in the 80s. Good thing we have cheap dives to Bali.

Silt and big tides are the main problems plus you need full suit with hood and glove for jelly fish. Crocs are less of a problem out in open water just don't dive in rivers or near the mouths of the esteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom