Scuba diving in Cairns, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toni Taft

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am an insulin dependent diabetic that wants to dive the Great Barrier Reef in February, 2024. I am in good control and will have a PADI medical release and letters from my doctor. When I visited many years ago I was told by a dive shop in Cairns that I would also need a dive physical by a local doctor. I was told a clinic to visit to get this done. When I went to get the physical I was denied seeing a doctor as they said they would not even talk to me as they would not approve diabetics to scuba dive. I had been told by a diver operator in Port Douglas I could dive there using my PADI medical release. I was forced to snorkel on the first day in Cairns as they would not allow me to dive. I called and dove the next two days in Port Douglas.

Has anyone more recent information on diving in Cairns as an insulin dependent diabetic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Has anyone more recent information on diving in Cairns as an insulin dependent diabetic?

Hi Toni,

I would suggest that you could ask "Aquapro Dive Services" who is active on Scubaboard and who is an diving industry service provider in Cairns for a local update on this matter. This is because there may be higher standards of practice involved in the Cairns marketplace or in the state of Queensland generally. You can make contact via a PM on Scubaboard or via Aquapro's Facebook page.

You could also contact the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS) for comment and general advice. Before making contact, I would suggest that you download and read the relevant parts of the following document from its website - "SPUMS Full Medical". This is actually a document called "Guidelines on medical risk assessment for recreational diving"

Also, there are a number of dive professionals living in Queensland who are active on Scubaboard and who may be able to comment on your situation via this thread.

Hi Toni,

I would suggest that you could ask "Aquapro Dive Services" who is active on Scubaboard and who is an diving industry service provider in Cairns for a local update on this matter. This is because there may be higher standards of practice involved in the Cairns marketplace or in the state of Queensland generally. You can make contact via a PM on Scubaboard or via Aquapro's Facebook page.

You could also contact the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS) for comment and general advice. Before making contact, I would suggest that you download and read the relevant parts of the following document from its website - "SPUMS Full Medical". This is actually a document called "Guidelines on medical risk assessment for recreational diving"

Also, there are a number of dive professionals living in Queensland who are active on Scubaboard and who may be able to comment on your situation via this thread.
Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom