Nitrox With A Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you're saying the "Bacon Diet" is a thing??? ;-)

Mrs. Stoo is a good Italian girl (well half, but she "identifies" as Italian) so she feeds me a good Mediterranean diet. Until Saturday AM, then all bets are off...
Basically, if the US government recommends a diet their recommendation will be found out to be unsupported by science within no more that 10 years, and usually will produce outcomes counter to what they said it would do. You will also find out that the people who did the recommending knew that there was no evidence when they made it, it's all based on their personal feeling and at most some cooked studies that they know are cooked when they used them as evidence.

The whole gigantic low-fat high-carb diet stuff that was pushed by the USDA due to fake "science" in the 1970s was supposed to reduce heart attacks, not make 2/3rds of the population fat. Well, it did make 2/3rd of the population fat, and since one of the risk factors for heart attacks is obesity, guess what it didn't do?

I am not wearing my moderator hat right now, but I would like to point out that the topic of this thread has strayed about as far from its origins as possible. That is almost certainly because there wasn't much to say about the original topic, and the thread quickly morphed into a jokefest. I suggest that if people want to discuss dietary issues or any of the other topics that have somehow popped up here, they should start a new thread in a more appropriate forum.

I'd worry more about wasting trimix on inflating a drysuit and feeling colder than most nitrox. I wouldn't use any high O2 deco gas to inflate though.
I think people would be using argon in that case, as my understanding is that helium conducts heat fairly well. I do not know what the difference is in heat conductivity between oxygen and nitrogen however.

I think people would be using argon in that case, as my understanding is that helium conducts heat fairly well. I do not know what the difference is in heat conductivity between oxygen and nitrogen however.

Nitrogen and oxygen are almost exactly the same in terms of heat conductivity.

Helium conducts heat around 600% better than air.
Argon conducts heat around 60% as well as air.

Nitrogen and oxygen are almost exactly the same in terms of heat conductivity.

Helium conducts heat around 600% better than air.
Argon conducts heat around 60% as well as air.
I had seen the numbers of argon vs. air at 1 atmosphere (the math came out a little different than 60% IIRC, but still in the ballpark). Hadn't looked up the numbers for helium.

Argon or air in an inflation bottle when you're diving trimix ... putting trimix in a drysuit will result in a very cold dive in any water chilly enough to warrant wearing a drysuit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Argon or air in an inflation bottle when you're diving trimix ... putting trimix in a drysuit will result in a very cold dive in any water chilly enough to warrant wearing a drysuit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm sure Trimix dives in water any colder than the high-70s would get chilly quickly!

I'm sure Trimix dives in water any colder than the high-70s would get chilly quickly!
Less than you might think. I used argon bottles religiously whenever diving trimix for years. I used either argon, air, or a mix. This past year, for various reasons I used trimix back gas for suit inflation on quite a few dives. The temperatures were about 70°F, the mixes ranged from 35%-56% helium, and I was only wearing light to medium weight undergarments. I didn't have a problem at all--didn't even think about it during the dives.

Would that be in the Florida caves, John? Might be because you're working so hard ... at least going in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would that be in the Florida caves, John? Might be because you're working so hard ... at least going in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Some Florida caves but more open ocean. The ocean ones were on wrecks, but I did not do any serious penetration on those dives, so it was mostly just routine puttering around. The caves were very low flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom