Nitrox With A Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I beg to differ. Second law of thermodynamics. It just takes time since diffusion is slow.

And they won't ever separate since two separate phases/layers of miscible components is a state of lower entropy. You can't go that way without paying some energy. Second law again. Does your whisky separate in a 96% layer on the top and a water layer at the bottom? If it does, make sure to publish because that'll be a scientific breakthrough and may form the basis for a perpetuum mobile.
You are absolutely right about unmixing them. But diffusion can be really, really slow. Mustard gas in WW I would stay lingering in the trenches for days. The addition of high energy farticles will certainly cause a much more rapid mixing of gases.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Is argon super cheap or is that reason just a way to slightly extend dive time? Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't usually put all that much gas into my drysuit.
It may depend on the dry suit. neo vs a shell suit.

Main reason lakes have thermoclines is water is heaviest at about 40 deg F

Main reason lakes have thermoclines is water is heaviest at about 40 deg F
Places like the Black Sea are hypoxic because of the lack of circulation.

Granted, a dry suit is going to have a lot more circulation and mixing than a lake. If you think about it, a dry suit at that kept a diver neutral at the surface filled with air and then goes down to 130' and has argon added to keep the diver neutral is going to be 80% argon.

There is a big difference between gases mixing and liquids mixing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom