Nitrox With A Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does fabric even oxidize???
Oxygen is a free radical and a potent oxidiser, yes, just like the seals. It only takes more time before it becomes noticeable.

But the difference, at least if we're talking about recreational nitrox, is probably not detectable. And being a chemist I call BS on the statement in the SSI book even if they weasel out by using "can" instead of "will".

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I using the search function but got nothing.

I just took the SSI drysuit class and got my certification. In the book, they say NOT to use Nitrox with a drysuit due to increased oxidation of the drysuit with the higher level of oxygen. I was curious about this so I emailed the manufacturer of my drysuit directly. Here is their response:

"I can't say I've read the reports that SSI is basing this info off.
The theory behind it is, the higher levels of oxygen will result in more oxidation.
Without proper long term testing it hard to say, how much it will affect/ shorten the life span of a dry suit?
That being said we've never had anybody express concern that their suit was damaged due to using Nitox."

I much prefer diving with Nitrox, and based on their response I was considering using Nitrox with my drysuit.

My question is, does anybody on this board dive using Nitrox with their drysuit? Any opinions about the SSI assertion?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

It's one of those things that falls into the category of "sound in theory but in practice a complete non-issue". The theory is that elevated levels of oxygen will react with the rubberized parts of your drysuit, causing accelerated material breakdown. In practice, unless you're using a deco bottle ... with oxygen level of 50% or greater ... it's not going to be enough for you to ever notice. You'll wear out your suit long before the effects become noticeable.

I've got over 3,000 dives in a drysuit ... about 90% or more of them using nitrox, and connecting my drysuit inflator directly to my breathing gas. Never had an issue doing so.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

even on deco bottles, the PO2 is not going to be significant enough to cause any meaningful accelerated wear. Sure air at 30ft vs o2 at 30 ft will be a big difference, but at depth with PO2's in the ideal range for diving you won't be able to measure anything. The suit will break down long before oxidation from the inflation gas becomes an issue.

The suit will break down long before oxidation from the inflation gas becomes an issue.
This reminds me of the recent "revelation" that bacon causes cancer. I suppose it might, but bacon will kill you with heart disease long before cancer becomes an issue... ;-)

This reminds me of the recent "revelation" that bacon causes cancer. I suppose it might, but bacon will kill you with heart disease long before cancer becomes an issue... ;-)
upload_2016-4-13_10-3-40.jpeg

And like the "revalation" with both of them, it isn't going to stop me eating bacon.

As for Nitrox, if it is the correct gas for the dive, use it. For the infinitesimal chance of a problem in practise, I would ignore it.

That sounds a lot like SSI dug deeper the category "not to train with". That doesn't leave a lot for any diver looking for quality training though...

I thought my SSI Dry Suit course was educational and informative. We never discussed the nitrox business. (I have a couple SSI cards but am not an SSI advocate as such. Most courses were PADI or SDI. Whatever looked interesting.)

....only if you eat it on a diet of moderate to high carbs. If high cholesterol (LDL) remains a marker for heart disease than going low carb will bring it down. I went low carb staying below 30 g/day which brought my LDL down and raised the HDL. Lost a ton of weight too. At the time I would eat at least 3/4 lb. of bacon in one sitting. If it weren't for my wife I would have eaten the whole pound. Of course I threw out the toast and cereal. It's not the fat. It's high fat + high carbs = typical American diet that kills. If memory serves me, the SSI science of diving book recommends reducing the fat but not the carbs.

So you're saying the "Bacon Diet" is a thing??? ;-)

Mrs. Stoo is a good Italian girl (well half, but she "identifies" as Italian) so she feeds me a good Mediterranean diet. Until Saturday AM, then all bets are off...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom