Nitrox/Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How aboutthis one? Seems they're saying 80% is ok, and that happens to be the same mix with the explosion. :shakehead:

If we're talking stupid, show me a diver who needs a titanium regulator to save weight but dives with lead or steel tanks anyway. Like previously mentioned, if you *need* to save a few ounces for the plane ride, keep your toothpaste or shampoo at home and buy it at your destination instead. The weight savings is about the same.
The Atomic M1's first stage is made out of brass and with monel stainless steel, so what's your point? I don't understand?

Scuba divers don't need titanium regulators, just like they don't need stainless steel regulators, just like they don't need BCs (show me an old timer who dove with BC), just like they don't need a dive computer.

If you don't like titanium regulator, then that's fine. Don't buy it. It's not any more "dangerous" than other regulators unless the owner decides to play alchemist.

I just read it again, and don't see the comparison (i.e. to brass or steel) you are suggesting he made. Rather, what I read is a post specifically about using titanium (and aluminum) regulators for high oxygen environments.

That's because I purposely made an obtuse observation. He claimed that titanium regulators would catch flame at their nitrox rated level, which to me is ludicrous without some sort of proof. So I made some outrageous claims too.

The Titanium is only in the first stage, as most 1st stages weigh in at about 1 pound, the weight reduction from the use of titanium would be at most 2 to 4 oz.

For air travel you would be better off having an enema prior to going to the airport.

Like previously mentioned, if you *need* to save a few ounces for the plane ride, keep your toothpaste or shampoo at home and buy it at your destination instead. The weight savings is about the same.

OK OK - the shampoo....definitely the shampoo :D

That's because I purposely made an obtuse observation. He claimed that titanium regulators would catch flame at their nitrox rated level, which to me is ludicrous without some sort of proof. So I made some outrageous claims too.

Yeah, and all those studies by NASA and the U.S. Navy should be ignored because some stroke on Scubaboard says everything will be fine.

NASA is a great resource for these kinds of things. At the time, they had pretty much had an unlimited budget. Perhaps you should use it once in a while.

So buy your toothpaste at your destination instead.

I do both - Use a Ti regulator and purchase my toothpaste and shampoo at my destination. Other risky behavior - I ride a Ti bike, wear a Ti watch, and wear Ti glasses. I'm keeping a good eye on those glasses... Never know what could happen in EAN21.

NASA is a great resource for these kinds of things. At the time, they had pretty much had an unlimited budget. Perhaps you should use it once in a while.

You mean like all the failure analysis it performed on foam projectiles at hypersonic speeds? At what point in the history of NASA are your referring to? before the Space Shuttle? Before Apollo 1??

Here's the funny part - I really dont care what equipment anyone uses but it seems you do. I care about what I purchase. If you are my dive buddy, You can use my primary or secondary - I don't care what you take from me when you need it. I know I have high quality regs - It just happens to be made of Ti. It is designed to be used to EAN40 which is exactly how I plan to use it.

I never plan to use any reg beyond it's capability which means if I use 100% O2, the reg will be rated to 100% O2 - Not 80%, Not 40%.

I drive a Lexus - What to comment about that? Any comments on my choice of dive boat?

I have watched buddy's struggle with their reg problems and blown dives because of them. Same people complain about breathing water due to unusual attitudes - Not me. Read the reviews - The T2/T2X is one of the best breathing regs available today. If a better reg comes along, I will probably purchase it - Ti Alloy or Steel Alloy.

Last edited:
I do both - Use a Ti regulator and purchase my toothpaste and shampoo at my destination. Other risky behavior - I ride a Ti bike, wear a Ti watch, and wear Ti glasses. I'm keeping a good eye on those glasses... Never know what could happen in EAN21.

:glasses:

I thought the main benefit to Ti regs was the corrosion resistance after salt water exposure.

The lightweight thing seemed really weird to me - as though the marketing department glommed onto that one fact. Saving a few ounces - let's be generous and say a full pound - seems like a waste when you're adding 30 pounds of lead anyway.

Yeah, and all those studies by NASA and the U.S. Navy should be ignored because some stroke on Scubaboard says everything will be fine.

OK, I'll bite, show me a study by NASA and the US Navy that shows titanium regulators catching flames WHEN USED PER THEIR MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS.

Please, enlighten this dumb stroke on Scubaboard.

Oh, and NASA screwed up on material specs on gaskets and that's why the space shuttles blew up. You go ahead and trust NASA.

You can smugly say anything you want, but Apollo 1 was THE reason NASA tested all types of materials in oxygen rich environments.

I could give a rats what you dive, but don't be telling a new guy that titanium is the greatest thing since sliced bread since he didn't specify in his original post how rich his nitrox mix will be.

I take that back, if you're doing a deco dive with me, and you happen to have a Ti reg on your O2 bottle and you go *boom* in the water, I probably would care. At least long enough to get you to the surface to call you an idiot.

You mean like all the failure analysis it performed on foam projectiles at hypersonic speeds? At what point in the history of NASA are your referring to? before the Space Shuttle? Before Apollo 1??

Here's the funny part - I really dont care what equipment anyone uses but it seems you do. I care about what I purchase. If you are my dive buddy, You can use my primary or secondary - I don't care what you take from me when you need it. I know I have high quality regs - It just happens to be made of Ti. It is designed to be used to EAN40 which is exactly how I plan to use it.

I never plan to use any reg beyond it's capability which means if I use 100% O2, the reg will be rated to 100% O2 - Not 80%, Not 40%.

I drive a Lexus - What to comment about that? Any comments on my choice of dive boat?

I have watched buddy's struggle with their reg problems and blown dives because of them. Same people complain about breathing water due to unusual attitudes - Not me. Read the reviews - The T2/T2X is one of the best breathing regs available today. If a better reg comes along, I will probably purchase it - Ti Alloy or Steel Alloy.

Back
Top Bottom