Nitrox/Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:glasses:

I thought the main benefit to Ti regs was the corrosion resistance after salt water exposure.

The lightweight thing seemed really weird to me - as though the marketing department glommed onto that one fact. Saving a few ounces - let's be generous and say a full pound - seems like a waste when you're adding 30 pounds of lead anyway.

The benefit of titanium is both corrosion resistance AND light weight. If corrosion resistance alone is the primary concern then a host of other stainless steels can be used to overcome that obstacle. And let's face it, the "cool" factor is also there.

I don't use titanium regulators and I doubt that I ever will, but I get a good laugh out of posts like "titanium has lower burning temperature than brass" or "I heard that titanium spontaneously combust and burn my cousin's brother's sister's cousin's friend to death".

The benefit of titanium is both corrosion resistance AND light weight. If corrosion resistance alone is the primary concern then a host of other stainless steels can be used to overcome that obstacle. And let's face it, the "cool" factor is also there.

I find it hard to believe that regulators are designed in such a way that a material with a higher strength-to-weight ratio is the only way to reduce overall weight. Rather, I believe that weight is one of the last things on the designers' minds. It's certainly not a critical design criterion.

Further, given the average life of existing steel and brass regulators, I can't believe that its corrosion resistive properties drove Atomic, ScubaPro, etc. to select titanium.

Let's face it, the "cool" factor" is ALL that's there.

I take that back, if you're doing a deco dive with me, and you happen to have a Ti reg on your O2 bottle and you go *boom* in the water, I probably would care. At least long enough to get you to the surface to call you an idiot.

You are the one here making claims about using regs in an 100% O2 environment and now you are throwing insults? I have already said I would not use any reg for more than its designed purpose.

NASA? Seems they do a great job after the fact. Do you have any idea how many alloys have been developed post 1960's - Without NASA's great help at that?

Here's a question for you - What reg do you use for your 100% O2 bottles?

Further, given the average life of existing steel and brass regulators, I can't believe that its corrosion resistive properties drove Atomic, ScubaPro, etc. to select titanium.

Let's face it, the "cool" factor" is ALL that's there.

Independent of the metal the T2X is a really good reg. For all I know its a cunning marketing plan manufacturers use to maintain the best specs to their most expensive regs? Thanks Blackwood.

Here's a question for you - What reg do you use for your 100% O2 bottles?

I'll chime in too.

The same ones I use for back gas. ScubaPro Mk25 (non-T).

Thanks too Marc - I will probably bump into you some time.

Very likely. Feel free to send me a PM when you're going to be down at the beach!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom