Nitrox Tank visual????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My nitrox tanks need servicing. Will a normal non 02 clean service be okay? or should i get a 02 clean visual?

Jordan

You need to specify that that cylinder is used for nitrox. You will want a viton o-ring and cristolube used instead of the 'regular silicone and o-ring'.

A normal VIS also O2 clean compatible. My LDS replace an O-ring and put the chrito lube on it. Actually, it doesn't have to be Viton ring.... EPDM is getting more popular... Your valve might be need to be clean again depending on the condition.
There are many opinion whether or not you have your tank O2 clean done every year.

I just do it by myself.....

I wish i could do it by myself, but i need the annual visual sticker.

Jorbar1551:
I wish i could do it by myself, but i need the annual visual sticker.

No, I mean O2 clean..... You know, what is the funny thing in scuba industry.

Even though you have PSI certification and inspect your tanks by yourself. Some shops do not honor it. In addition, as you may know, VIS is just industry required, not legal requirement.... :wink:

Someone should make and sell visual stickers. They would make a fortune

hoosier:
No, I mean O2 clean..... You know, what is the funny thing in scuba industry.

Even though you have PSI certification and inspect your tanks by yourself. Some shops do not honor it. In addition, as you may know, VIS is just industry required, not legal requirement.... :wink:

Take a copy of your PSI certification in to the LDS and ask to see their technician's certification. If a nice little chat with the shop manager doesn't then sort out any concerns, I'd look for another place to get your fills. It is their compressor, and they can choose to fill or not fill cylinders. But PSI is the gold standard of training for cylinder visual inspectors, and an inspection done by a qualified technician should be honored.

Visual inspection and O2-cleaning are two separate issues. You need the visual just to use the tank, and the O2-cleaning if it is going to see O2 percentages above 40%, which includes partial pressure mixing. O2 cleaning isn't just a matter of changing the O-ring and grease, it involves cleaning the inside of the tank and the valve parts to remove all old grease and contaminants.

What confuses the issue is that some suppliers make stickers that combine both visual inspection and O2 cleaning on the same sticker, others, however, do not.

While the dive industry is pretty agreed on what consitutes a visual, there is little agreement on if and how often O2 cleaning need be done, for what percentages, and whether the tank owner can do it. So every shop makes and enforces its own rules.

Inspection stickers are available, if you just look a bit. And many divers qualified to do inspections just make their own. O2-clean stickers are even more easily available, so many tech divers not qualified to do the inspection may have a shop do it, then do their own O2 cleaning and mark the tank as O2 cleaned using a separate label.

I've got mixed feelings on the whole inspection sticker issue. I think qualified (and this doesn't necessarily mean taking a PSI course) divers should be able to do their own. However, the problem with selling labels too freely is that some divers would then buy them and use them just to do "rubber stamp" inspections without actually looking into the tanks, which, considering the known dangers of neck cracks in older tanks, would eventually lead to some disasters.

In the case of partial pressure blending, please keep in mind who is at risk if a tank isn't properly cleaned (and kept that way). Not the diver who'll be breathing 40% or less, but the fill station operator who's there putting 100% O2 into a non-o2 clean tank.

Jorbar1551:
Someone should make and sell visual stickers. They would make a fortune
They do. It's called your LDS (except for the fortune part).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom