Nitrox study materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My GF and I are scheduled to take the Nitrox course in Bonaire next month. I would like to get a good background before we travel and I don't want to buy a crewpack early because we will already be getting two when we are there.

My question is: what information or other publications are freely available so that we can begin studying now? I don't want to start the course completely cold!

Thanks in advance!

Other then the study material nothing really that I know of. Some will claim nitrox is placebo but dont be swayed by it. Its really one of the best things that has come out of scuba!

I wish I had more information to give you but other then the materials I dont know where it is discussed at length. Good luck!

Here is the best information I've come across regarding Nitrox thus far. I know of some good books as well, but I assume you would prefer something that you don't have to lug around with you. So check out the link (there's a part 2 as well) and that can be a very good intro for you.

If you do want book recommendations, let me know and I'll post that info up as well.

You mentioned "crewpack" so I assume you are PADI certified. I would recommend purchasing your materials prior to going on vacation. The PADI EanX course is all dive theory and some math. You will be learning how to use different dive tables. You can complete all the self study at home and have more time to dive on your vacation.Maybe you can call your instructor and get a discount on your course.
Good Luck,
Ed

Here is the best information I've come across regarding Nitrox thus far. I know of some good books as well, but I assume you would prefer something that you don't have to lug around with you. So check out the link (there's a part 2 as well) and that can be a very good intro for you.

If you do want book recommendations, let me know and I'll post that info up as well.

That's great! I would love some book recommendations as well, as I don't want to go out and buy a crewpack for $60 or so, and I'm really not planning on bringing it with me.

My question is: what information or other publications are freely available so that we can begin studying now? I don't want to start the course completely cold!

You might enjoy these as well:

Lang, MA (ed) 2001. DAN Nitrox Workshop Proceedings. Divers Alert Network, Durham, N.C., 197p. RRR ID: 4855

This one is background behind the PADI/ DSAT course.

Richardson, D and Shreeves, K (1996). "The PADI Enriched Air Diver course and DSAT oxygen exposure limits.". South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society journal 26 (3). ISSN 0813-1988. OCLC 16986801. RRR ID: 6310

There is a decent list of references on the Wikipedia Nitrox page.

The way the Nitrox course works is that you view the DVD in sections as you work through the text. There are several exercises in each chapter and a Knowledge Review at the end of the chapter. Each student must have their own book and the answers are to be written in the book. The instructor MAY keep a copy of the Knowledge Reviews as proof that the work was done.

Around here, you are expected to show up with the bookwork complete. It may take a dozen hours or so to wade through this stuff. The classroom portion will go over the Knowledge Reviews and you sign off on each after the review is complete. Then there is a multiple choice exam followed by analyzing some gas. The entire classroom process is less than 4 hours, probably closer to 3, two if you're quick.

This is not the kind of course you want to waste expensive vacation time doing. There are no dives and the coursework is boring. It would be better to knock this out before you leave if it is possible. Perhaps for two students, your LDS can run a special class if one isn't scheduled. It's not like the instructor has to work very hard for their money on this course.

Your choice... Do the work ahead of time and spend moonlit evenings pouring Margaritas or waste a bunch of time pouring over tables.

Richard

I would say a great pre-cursor (if you don't know how, so you may already know this cold) would be to figure out how to plan dives and really, honestly use dive tables. I know that this isn't nitrox specific, but being nitrox qualified does mean people will expect more out of you as a dive buddy. You should know how to calculate surface air consumption, respiratory minute volume, and how to figure out what size cylinder you need for a particular dive. NWgratefuldiver (Bob Bailey) has a great web site that covers all of that material here:

Bob Bailey's site

Bob also has a great article on nitrox mythology on there as well.

Being a nitrox diver implies that you should know how to choose when or if a mixed gas like EAN is appropriate for the dive length, maximum operating depth, or required surface intervals. I've seen plenty of people pay 15 bucks for an EAN fill when they didn't need it and could have been diving compressed air for the 20 minutes that they wanted to dive at 30 feet. I think if you know how to properly plan, prepare, and execute regular compressed air dives upside-down in your sleep with just a pencil and paper, you'll smoke the nitrox course. Furthermore, you'll be a real nitrox diver when you're done and not just some guy with a card. You'll know when to use it, and why you're using it.

Brushing up on all the gas laws wouldn't hurt either. If you know Boyle's, Charles's, Dalton's, Henry's, and Martini's laws, you'll have a leg up when going through the course material. Specifically, Dalton's and Henry's laws will help you when planning nitrox dives, figuring out MOD, calculating partial pressures, figuring out best mix, etc.

I hope I didn't bore you :wink:

Last edited:
If your just wanting to read up a little before you take your class, I've seen several SSI and PADI nitrox manuals on Ebay and an occasional DVD.

They aren't free but don't cost that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom