Nitrox??? Really???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mhedman

Registered
Reaction score
I went to a local shop today, just south of Seattle, looking for a simple computer for my son. I was hoping for something used. What I got was "No way do we sell used gear". OK, I've heard it but everyone I know Or see is diving on a used computer and they are easy to check out and tons of shops sell them. Any one here ever have to take their new car in for warranty work?. The sales gal (sometimes called an instructor) showed me a Suunto Gekko, nice computer, but all I really want is a simple air computer. "Well", she says."If you're going to go that simple then all you really need are the dive tables". In, I might add, an incredulous and condescending tone. Since when did Nitrox become the "Only way to dive" or "The safe way to dive"? It tseems that all the years of previous discussion never happened. Oxygen is a flammable and toxic substance. What happens when Ooops, you discover you've gone a little too deep? Are the shops really worried about safety? The best prevention against getting the bends is not being Fat. Or carrying too much gear (heavens). I don't see any of the shops telling people they need to get in shape! Hell NO! They load them up with 100-200 pounds of gear, have them hike all over a beach layered up in neoprene, and then jump in 48 degree water. Then they want to sell them all the goodies to dive Nitrox telling them that'll make them safe. I have a friend who went through a whole series of classes from respected local instructor for Tech, Tri-mix, 200+ deep, etc.. classes. He was at least 100+ pounds overweight but could pay and he did. He's still alive but can't dive. No one's certain if he had his first heart attack underwater or on the boat just after but he's had 3 so far and it cost him the one thing he loved Diving.
All of us but especially shops and instructors need to keep a finger on the pulse of reality. It aint about the gear! Telling me or my son if I hadn't been there that the only way to dive is by Nitrox or that otherwise I should just use the tables and not take advantage of a computer should be illegal. You are messing with the safety of diving not advancing it. How in hell did we all get along before Nitrox? Personally, I don't use it and therefore am not limited to a predetermined depth like my friends are and I feel safer because of that.

Regards, Mhedman

First .. No One should ever use a condescending tone when talking to you

but .. she may be right about the tables. although there are a bunch of air only computers out there if that's what you want ... Me? I'm glad that my LDS took back my air only model and let me upgrade to the air/nitrox model ... because they were right, it did allow me to one day use nitrox without buying another computer ..
I think a little research on nitrox will help you understand better when and why it is used

Welcome to ScubaBoard mhedman, why don't you fill out your profile while your here

I understand what it's for. What upsets me is that it's purportedly a neccesity and it's benefits are really pretty limited. The thing is that it's sold as a safety tool when we completely overlook the physical conditioning of a large percentage of the diving public as though there is no consequence.

Mhedman

Hey Mhedman... why don't you just get the Gekko and set it for air mode? You don't HAVE to use nitox :)

Now.. if you will excuse me... I'm going to go do some sit-ups...

I don't think that many here think it's a necessity, or that it's benefits are pretty limited ether ... It's a tool, and can be very beneficial on multiple dives ... but It's not a requirement, but it is an asset to have in your tool box
I did not foresee me ever diving nitrox, but I am glad that I ended up getting my computer that does both ... it saved me money in the long run

mhedman:
Nitrox? Personally, I don't use it and therefore am not limited to a predetermined depth like my friends are and I feel safer because of that.

On air, you're diving a 21% mix. Your maximum operating depth @ 1.4 PP02 is 187fsw.

Ryan

mhedman:
Oxygen is a flammable and toxic substance. What happens when Ooops, you discover you've gone a little too deep? Are the shops really worried about safety? The best prevention against getting the bends is not being Fat.

1) Oxygen is not flammable and is only toxic when breathed at partial pressures and elapased times which exceed CNS tox or full body (pulmonary) tox limits. As already pointed out, air is EAN 21.

2) The best prevention against DCI is proper hydration while diving within table or computer limits. Yes, fat tissue absorbed nitrogen more readily than many tissues; but, other variables are more highly associated with DCI.

This sounds more like a rant against an individual (the sales person) than an informed opinion about Nitrox.

Just my 2 cents.

In the near future they will stop making Air only computers, period.

Only differnce between and Air only and an AIR/NITROX is the calculations it can do.
Same circuits, same mfgring cost, just a little more software.

My LDS does not even carry Air only computers, Air/Nitrox computers only cost a few bucks more.

And hey, someday you may see the benifit of diving Nitrox and think, "Oh its nice I don't need to buy a new computer".

In any event, sale persons should always treat people with respect and answer questions to the best of there ability. As for Nitrox, we dive nitrox anytime we are on vacation and doing multiple days of diving and for deeper dives. When everyone's computer is screaming at them at the end of a 4 dive day, we are almost cleared out by dinner using Nitrox. For deeper dives it is not any safer for us because we use it to extend bottom times.

Have you checked out this shop, mhedman? I bought a used depth gauge from them and was quite happy with both the gauge and the service. They sell tonnes of used gear -- not sure if they have computers though.

Back
Top Bottom