"Nitrox poisoning"-tv dialogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hypoxic Trimix is used for deep dives but will kill at shallow depths.

Well ... technically it will cause you to pass out, in which case you will most likely drown.

Folks, this ain't rocket surgery. Think of oxygen as the "power" that runs your body. Like electricity to something that's powered by it ... too little won't "kill" the device ... but it won't run it either. Too much could cause some real damage ... but your body has a built-in inhibitor that simply stops you from taking in anymore.

Neither too much nor too little oxygen will directly kill you ... but it causes you to lose consciousness (too little) or go into a seizure (too much) where you lose control over your muscles. In either case, the real danger is drowning ... because you're most likely going to lose the reg outta your mouth and then when your automatic breathing responses kick back in you're gonna inhale water.

It really is that simple ... at least at the level most divers need to understand how it works.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmpppff! :scorned:

Jes' cause you CAN adjust your ppo is no reason to be eating popcorn!

True ... he should be eating sofnolime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am shocked that they got this wrong-This would never happen back in my day. I learned to dive watching 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea.' I also learned a thing or two about navigating a flying sub.

I am shocked that they got this wrong-This would never happen back in my day. I learned to dive watching 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea.' I also learned a thing or two about navigating a flying sub.

That was a great show ... much more believable than Avatar ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't believe everything you read on the internets. World War I got started that way, you know.

DC

On that same note...I went to Sports Chalet last night to get an air fill. Long story short, there was a Sports Chalet instructor there who refused to fill my cylinders because they had a "nitrox" sticker on them (they weren't even "enriched air nitrox" stickers). He proceeded to tell me that adding air to the nitrox would poison me...kept saying it was poisonous. NCIS, alright, I can kind of forgive...but a scuba instructor?!! And by definition, isn't air nitrox?

On that same note...I went to Sports Chalet last night to get an air fill. Long story short, there was a Sports Chalet instructor there who refused to fill my cylinders because they had a "nitrox" sticker on them (they weren't even "enriched air nitrox" stickers). He proceeded to tell me that adding air to the nitrox would poison me...kept saying it was poisonous. NCIS, alright, I can kind of forgive...but a scuba instructor?!! And by definition, isn't air nitrox?

:errrr:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom