"Nitrox poisoning"-tv dialogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never believe ANYTHING you see on TV, hear on the radio or read in a newspaper about anything that has anything to do with scuba, especially if it involves a death while diving.

Never believe ANYTHING you see on TV, hear on the radio or read in a newspaper about anything that has anything to do with scuba, especially if it involves a death while diving.

WHAT?!!?!?! You mean it's NOT true that every time you dive, someone will slip up behind you and try to cut your 'oxygen' hoses?

(ala 'Sea Hunt')

I only caught the tail end of the show. I'll have to. Check it out on demand. If they did screw up that had I'm going to write and insist that Abby and Ziva take a nitrox class from me!

I have the episode DVR, and they should have referred to Oxygen Toxicity and Trimix (Hypoxic). I also notice a single Nitrox tank at the crime scene, but Abby had doubles on her lab table.

Oxygen Toxicity can kill. Hypoxic Trimix is used for deep dives but will kill at shallow depths.

I am thinking the CGIS agent will be Gibbs 5th wife.

However, your instincts are good and you questioned all the right parts! :thumb: While "underknowledged" is a good term, don't forget that the writers might think it sounds "more cool" to say "Nitrox Poisoning" than "Oxygen toxicity".
It's easier for actors to say Nitrox Poisoning than Oxygen toxicity. OT may have them end up on a bloopers highlight reel.

"Adjustments" on open-circuit come purely in the form of partial pressure changes due to depth ... the diver has no way, short of switching tanks, to "adjust" the mix they're breathing.

What I do on Nitrox if I want to go even deeper is just spit out some oxygen and breath in more nitrogen to even it out :rofl3:

The one that always used to get me was in The Abyss, when at the end (look away now if you haven't seen it)

the Aliens whip them up to the surface, and one of the crew adds quickly "they must have done something to us, because we didn't have to decompress!"

Yeah, well they forgot to mention that the Aliens must have been doing something to them for the entire movie, because they were breathing helium the whole time (and the rogue Navy SEAL gets HPNS for good measure), but for some reason nobody sounded like Mickey Mouse whilst deliverying their heroic dialogue...
I don't think that scene when the heroine is telling Ed Harris that he has to let her die would have had the same gravitas.

Unless you are using Nitrox 5%

(Agreed thats not exactly a common mix :D )

Then it's not nitrox ... it's trimix.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom