"Nitrox poisoning"-tv dialogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was watching "NCIS" last night, and the episode involved the investigation into the death of a supposed Navy diver, whose body was found washed up on a beach.
The diver's tanks had the green "Nitrox" stickers. While the Nitrox played a less-than- infinitely small part in the plot,the writing was a bit more accurate than some dive -related drama writing that I have seen, but....
2 comments/questions- some dialogue that made me laugh, or go "huh!", or just question if TV writers know squat about diving.

1) While at the scene, the medical examiner commented:
"of course, we can't rule out nitrox poisoning"

I have never heard that term before. Is there such a thing? Or is it merely TV writers writing from their butts??
( I thought, if anything, it might be an alternate name for Ox-tox??)

2) Later, in the lab The dialogue went:
forensic scientist: " He was using Nitrox because on deep dives it's beneficial. But he was headed into shallow water, so why didn't he adjust"
Agent: "A seasoned diver would know that."

This led them down a path to the discovery that the body was not that of the diver.
My question: if we stipulate that "beneficial" could apply to Nitrox use: what about "Mods", and what "adjustments when coming shallow"??- or is it again more underknowledged writing??

As I said, it was not the worst dive info TV writing, but jeeze.

:rofl3: And you would think NCIS would at least have a real diver on their advisory staff!!!! :rofl3:

Hey, I want that neat little gadget that "adjusts" your nitrox as you change depth . . . .

. . . oops . . . isn't that a rebreather? :lol:

I was watching "NCIS" last night, and the episode involved the investigation into the death of a supposed Navy diver, whose body was found washed up on a beach.
The diver's tanks had the green "Nitrox" stickers. While the Nitrox played a less-than- infinitely small part in the plot,the writing was a bit more accurate than some dive -related drama writing that I have seen, but....
2 comments/questions- some dialogue that made me laugh, or go "huh!", or just question if TV writers know squat about diving.

I have never heard that term before. Is there such a thing? Or is it merely TV writers writing from their butts??

forensic scientist: " He was using Nitrox because on deep dives it's beneficial. But he was headed into shallow water, so why didn't he adjust"

This led them down a path to the discovery that the body was not that of the diver.
My question: if we stipulate that "beneficial" could apply to Nitrox use: what about "Mods", and what "adjustments when coming shallow"??- or is it again more underknowledged writing??

I'm sorry, Mike . . . I see you have some real questions in here. This is a good site that discusses Nitrox: Nitrox FAQ.

However, your instincts are good and you questioned all the right parts! :thumb: While "underknowledged" is a good term, don't forget that the writers might think it sounds "more cool" to say "Nitrox Poisoning" than "Oxygen toxicity".

That sounds completely and utterly backa&&wards... of course it depends on the depths we're talking.

"beneficial" could mean extended bottom time of course, but this applies to any depth (within the MOD for oxygen toxicity).

If he went too deep oxygen toxicity is possible, but they're claiming he meant to go deep but went shallow instead, so that wouldn't lend itself to oxygen toxicity.

Without having seen it, sounds like less than knowledgeable writing to me...

Apparently you're not a "seasoned" diver because you'd have that :rofl3:

:depressed: . . . then by golly, I'm going to run right out and buy one!!!! :rofl3:

I watched this with the wife and I thought it was off to ... I don't think my wife was very interested in my play by play critique.

ummm . . . no, I suppose not . . . nosebreathers tend to be like that. . .

ah, heck, my husband is like that, and he's my dive buddy!!! :lol:

They got it ass-backwards ... going too deep on Nitrox can lead to oxygen toxicity. Going shallow on Nitrox won't have any physiological affects at all.

"Adjustments" on open-circuit come purely in the form of partial pressure changes due to depth ... the diver has no way, short of switching tanks, to "adjust" the mix they're breathing.

A seasoned diver would know that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:( Oh, Bob, you are so pedantic . . . we're just having fun with it! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom