Nitrox or Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitrox first and rescue after. There is a lot to be learned by observing others having problems. plunging with air off, loose tanks and the like. nitrox should not be 200.

It depends what your goals are.
If you like to become a divemaster or instructor in the future i should recommend to do the Rescue Course. This is one of the prerequisites of the divemaster course.
If you like to do only fundives the rest of your life, i should recommend the nitrox course, or in padi wording enriched air course.
You can do this course dry, means without dives and wet with 2 open water dives. There is the cost difference.

@ThreeTankTom;
You've gotten several replies to sort through since you last logged on and posted your question! I enjoyed your post bc it reminded me of "the fever" many of us of "caught" towards the beginning of our scuba careers. I'm so glad you've enjoyed yourself thus far and are looking forward to your next adventures (while weighing the right education choices carefully).

My opinion on your question:

Short answer: Find a Nitrox class that is $100-125 or less and take that first.

Much longer answer:
  • $200 is crazy expensive for a Nitrox cert. I paid that about eight years ago, for a private class at my house at the last moment bc I wanted the cert for a liveaboard. My class was overpriced even then, it's a much more ubiquitous cert now.
  • Rescue class is a definite must-do, for anyone who is serious about diving (regardless of future training plans); I applaud you for looking into this class. A few considerations/thoughts:
    • Under "pro's" for the Rescue class, you mention it is a prerequisite for professional level classes. Nitrox is probably is a prereq as well, so they cancel each other out.
    • My bigger question is, did you just kind of toss that "pro" on your list, or is this something you are considering?
    • While I would consider taking some classes on vacation, Rescue is NOT one of them.
We look forward to hearing back from you!!!

Funny I was just recalling that after doing AOW that was my next order--Nitrox then Rescue. To my knowledge Nitrox is not required for going pro--just Rescue, # of logged dives, etc.--for PADI anyway.

You will likely want to do both eventually, but I would take the Nitrox class first, personally. I don't know about PADI, but SSI only requires two dives using Nitrox if you are going to use it as a course to get your AOW. Since, you already are AOW certified, that doesn't matter. Rescue Diver is a much longer course and does require in water training as well as open water dives.

Really, it depends on how much time you have to dedicate to the training. Nitrox is a single class in a classroom only, while Rescue Diver consists of classroom time, pool time, and open water time.

+1 on doing both. Nitrox is such an easy one but yet so beneficial, I would knock that out first. However you should be able to find that cert for less than $200. Rescue is an awesome course and my favorite cert. by far so far in my short diving career. Really makes you look at diving differently, especially your observation of other divers, dive plans, etc. It really made me look beyond myself and my buddy and to not be afraid to speak up or keep an eye on someone else that may be struggling/nervous/inexperienced, etc. Although I got my Rescue cert rather early (25 dives) there is some truth in the waiting to get some additional dives under your belt. It helped with my confidence immensely but would have been even more beneficial with more experience.

Happy Diving!

Matt

I second the Both option. No need to go to Mexico for Nitrox. I paid $75 for mine and it was maybe a 2 hour class after doing the bookwork at home. While it may be a placebo, many divers, including us, feel much less tired after dives on Nitrox. The "nitrogen naps" are much shorter after lunch.

Rescue was the class that I felt like I was becoming a diver. (I'm still working on it...but I'm much closer than I was three years ago) If done correctly, you will be spent when it's over. I'm not sure I would want to take the course on vacation though...but that's just me. I may have paid 150...maybe 225 for my rescue course. Friday night was book work. Saturday was rescue, Sunday was search. At least 6 dives. Again, great course, but I would do it before a vacation.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

I remember the first time I saw someone doing the PADI Rescue course. It was an Australian lady. Perhaps in her late 40s, early 50s but very fit. Her husband was a DI and doing fun dives. He was not about that life that week. I've never seen anyone so tired after a dive. She was spent. But likewise, had never seen someone so happy after completing a dive course.

I She was spent. But likewise, had never seen someone so happy after completing a dive course.

That's about how I felt at the end of my Rescue Diver course.... exhausted and ecstatic at the same time!!

What pretty much everyone has said.... I'd shop around for Nitrox though. My wife and I did it in Panama City last year - it was $125 each and included the book, DVD, and first tank. The class was a joke though - seemed to be less than an hour start to finish. We set unsupervised, in the stockroom of the shop and watched a video. Then the owner came in and gave us the written test. BUT, it was a great investment - I learned how NOT to check a tank. I blew out the instructors analyzer by turning the pressure too high - something I now know what not to do with "my" analyzer.

I also agree; I don't think I would do a long cert on a fun vacation. We are land locked here in Atlanta and don't get to do too many ocean vacations a year (and have no interest in lake diving). So when we do go on vaca we want to do fun dives; not check out dives and book work.

I agree with everyone. Nitrox first.
Then, think about it, you could benefit from the nitrox in your rescue course if your instructor plans do to multiple exercises the same day (and if it's available).

When you dive twice everyday, you're super happy to use nitrox.
Then, as a divemaster if you wanna go pro, nitrox is still a really nice option to have when you have a full morning of try dive and don't wanna use a 15L tank because it destroys the back :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom