Nitrox or Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you entire diving career is one week of diving down in Cozumel and that was 1 year ago, I would definitely say to get Nitrox, but that you probably don't even meet the prerequisites for Rescue Diver yet. Or maybe you do. Regardless, I would say to get more diving experience before you worry about Rescue. Then do Rescue when your dive skills are fresh and up to date.

I did Rescue, then more dives, then Nitrox, and next I am signing up for DRYSUIT. If I had the money, I would take a big calendar and fill in the Spring and Summer with dives and Classes. I found I enjoy cold water diving more than I thought I would, and since I get sunburnt every vacation south, Warm water diving is losing its allure.

I agree of course with both. Nitrox cert. is of no value during the Rescue Course. You're taking up an unconscious diver from maybe 20'. Most everything else is on the surface.
I always advised students to take Rescue as soon as possible after they feel comfortable with basic diving. I've always felt some form of basic rescue skills should be part of OW as apparently they were decades ago. Some disagree, citing time, costs for student, and info. overload.
For PADI Rescue you need Adventure Cert. only. Many CPR, etc. courses are accepted as a rescue prerequisite. Check with PADI &/or your shop.
Apparently Rescue courses vary a lot according to instructor. Some way more physical than others.

"Here's some numbers. Stay inside them."
That's about the crux of a nitrox certification. A different set of tables, but still just a set of tables to follow. And a couple of choices to be made about what percent and where to set a personal limit as well. But the bottom line? If you had a properly thorough SCUBA course, not a quickie, you pretty much can read a nitrox booklet (which really could be condensed to one piece of paper) and be done with it.
So, $225? That's obscene. If the same sponsor is giving both courses, ask them to cut that to just $100 if you sign up for both courses at once.
And check on the rescue course, you may be asked to show 100 logged open water dives before you can apply for that.

Back in 1976 when I received my PADI "Basic Scuba Diver" certification, we also had to be CPR certified which was part of the course.

Rred, there is no required number of dives for Rescue.

Does it matter (or confuse things) if you mix and match OW and Nitrox? I.e. PADI OW and SDI Nitrox... If you mix and match does that mean you have to carry more than one card?

Rred, there is no required number of dives for Rescue.

I thought it was 40 dives or AOW.

Does it matter (or confuse things) if you mix and match OW and Nitrox? I.e. PADI OW and SDI Nitrox... If you mix and match does that mean you have to carry more than one card?

You always need to carry both, whether they're from the same agency or not.

I thought it was 40 dives or AOW.
You always need to carry both, whether they're from the same agency or not.

Don't need any number of dives to do the PADI Rescue. Have to have EFR Primary and Secondary Care within 24 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom