Nitrox or Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox or Rescue? That's a no brainer for a new diver. One will increase your bottom time (if no deco-limits are your issue), whilst the other will make you a better diver... All the usual caveats apply (crap instructor, crap course, but that goes for both).

When I am asked about Enriched Air I always ask the divers where are they planning to dive and how are they planning to dive. If you're planning on diving with a dive operator in a group of divers, and on a schedule of 2-3 dives per day when you're on vacation... save your money and don't bother with Nitrox! Most dive operations cater for a lowest common denominator in a group or have a schedule..

I have never had any trouble calling ahead and finding myself an operator to dive with that would let me dive my tanks, and even provide 100s, and sometimes 120s.

technically, I think enriched air is actually more dense since there is more O2 and O2 is denser than both "plain air" and Nitrogen.

As a PADI Master Instructor, Enriched Air Instructor and also DSAT Gas Blender Instructor, the owner of a dive shop with a nitrox capable compressor and a technical diver too... I have to advise you that you are barking up the wrong tree! Oxygen is more dense than Nitrogen, that is true, but by only 0.178g/L. What this means is that it is so marginal as to not be material.

Your gas consumption will remain much the same on 'air' as it is on any blend of recreational nitrox and you won't find that you're miraculously breathing less (due to the change in gas). If you notice that you're breathing less, this is more likely down to you progressing as a diver, being more relaxed and.... breathing less. If you believe this is due to Nitrox, then great (but we all know its not really) :wink:

As a PADI Master Instructor, Enriched Air Instructor and also DSAT Gas Blender Instructor, the owner of a dive shop with a nitrox capable compressor and a technical diver too... I have to advise you that you are barking up the wrong tree! Oxygen is more dense than Nitrogen, that is true, but by only 0.178g/L. What this means is that it is so marginal as to not be material.

So, technically, I was right. :wink:

Practically speaking, I agree that it doesn't matter for the most part.

Taking rescue this weekend. I've been looking forward to this since I signed up for it in the winter. I knew the class was going to kick my butt, so it gave me the motivation to get back in shape. It shouldn't have taken diving to give me the motivation, but I'm lightest I've been since college and haven't been in this good of shape since I played football in high school.

So, technically, I was right. :wink:

Practically speaking, I agree that it doesn't matter for the most part.

Yeah, it makes a whole 47g difference over 2400l in a tank at 32%. So probably a mouthful! Would that change your dive time, that extra mouthful? Hence why 'barking up the wrong tree'

While I do agree with @Gary_Ward, it is important to note Nitrox will not only increase your bottom time, it is sometimes a hard requirement for charters, specially when diving wrecks. So while you might be okay diving within the air NDL, some operators will require Nitrox to participate in their organized events, thus bringing the lowest common denominator to the Nitrox level. Rescue diver will make you a better diver and a better buddy but it is not required for any dives, anywhere, that I am aware of.

Last edited:
My instructor.
Three very distinct possibilities.
1. You misunderstood your instructor.
2. You misremembered what your instructor said.
3. Your instructor was wrong.

I suggest you contact your instructor and find out which of those three is true.

I never heard this before. Why would you use less air?
Three very distinct possibilities.
1. You misunderstood your instructor.
2. You misremembered what your instructor said.
3. Your instructor was wrong.

I suggest you contact your instructor and find out which of those three is true.

Maybe it was in the context of the fatigue.
Then, it won't change the fact that it's nicer to do multiple shallow dive on nitrox than air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom