Nitrox or Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThreeTankTom

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I couldn't believe that looking at my calendar, yesterday marked one year since I returned from my first week of diving down in Cozumel with Dressel at the Ibersostar. Time went by much to fast, and I feel like diving gave me such an addiction, it was like mainlining all of the most addictive drugs on the street. I miss it, and I can seriously feel the effects of withdrawals. Is there any way to really manage that? Anyways, I've been receiving my copies of SportDiver from PADI and I've been thinking on which certification I would like to get next. I do have my Advanced Open Water certification, I was one of only two or three in my group to gain that certification last year. I think I have narrowed it down to two certifications, I'll get both but I don't know what to get first.

First is probably the highest recommended; enriched air/nitrox. Approximate cost: $216
Pros: extended bottom times, shorter surface intervals, shorter decompression times
Cons: Live in Colorado, and though I can get the certification, I don't know how much use it will be at 5280 until the next time I'm diving.

Second is one that is more and more common in magazines, and when my school group was driving back to the Cozumel airport, the professor who took us all down there even recommended it: Rescue Diver
Approximate cost: $400

Pros: used to have a lifeguard certification in high school, along with CPR, AED and First Aid. Long expired, but I would have transferable skills, and brush up on many, while also learning new ones. If something goes wrong, can help others if need be. Also a prerequisite for master diver/divemaster
Cons: Course only offered once per month (nitrox is almost weekly), need to be recertified on CPR, AED and First Aid beforehand (which my dive shop offers anyways)

I was just curious as to what everyone here might advise, I can see advantages to both. My gut says to get the more expensive and time consuming one completed first, the rescue diver, but maybe it would be best to have nitrox under my belt for more versatility in that course. Might there be other courses that you would highly recommend taking as well?

Thanks,
Tom^3

If I were you, I'd take the Nitrox diver course first. Nitrox is useful in extending bottom times, shortening surface intervals, and combating altitude. Of course, Nitrox isn't anything miraculous and won't make dramatic improvements to all three factors simultaneously...but all three really do play into each other.

Rescue Diver can be incredibly helpful if done well, and incredibly useless if not done well. Before you sign up for Rescue Diver at all, make sure whoever you take it with is extremely thorough and doesn't just kinda-halfway check off boxes. It's hard to evaluate as a newer diver because you truly don't know what you don't know, but think about it long and hard and get input from more experienced local divers if you can.

Nitrox training can be pretty poorly done as well (my wife's EANx training was ATROCIOUSLY bad), but worst-case you can fill in gaps in knowledge through reading and the card still allows you to get Nitrox fills.

I would really plan to do both. I am a bit surprised that the cost of the Nitrox is $200 for a course that does not require dives. Most places are about $125 for the course. If you cant find anywhere cheaper to do it locally I think SDI does it online or schedule to do it on your next Cozumel trip.

I second Victors comments. Nitrox is going to be much more useful just to have. Probably not going to learn a whole lot, but it's worthwhile to have. Rescue is fairly low on my list of required certs. Most people don't have O2 when diving alone, so your best bet is to get them to shore, call 911, and pray. MOST rescue courses are complete junk and since most people don't practice the skills so they get lost

I guess it depends on what kind of diving you will be doing. For me, from the beginning, I set out to dive without the support of a dive op -- I like to charter bare boats (no captain or crew) and added scuba to that as an activity. Since my RDB and I were doing most of our diving without the support of a dive op, but rather on our own, for us Rescue was a better addition because it enhanced confidence and the ability to self-rely (on each other). Plus, we just weren't doing the profiles or number of daily dives to benefit fully from EAN.

That said, for most people, I agree with the comments on doing EAN first, especially if you are going to be doing "high intensity" trips like a LOB or dive resort. That's where EAN is really worth it. I still think Rescue is worthwhile for a lot of people, but EAN is probably the higher priority for most.

Living in Colorado means that you will just have to get used to our "local" diving, which is in New Mexico. Nitrox can be very helpful in the sites there, but you will not get it at those sites unless you are with people who bring their own equipment for making it. Such people exist and go there regularly, and it would not be hard to join them.

Nitrox. Nothing wrong with rescue, but everyone should have nitrox certification. Really, nitrox use should be incorporated into basic open water courses. However $216 seems like a lot for nitrox. I believe I paid $75.

I would think you'd want to do nitrox and advanced open water before rescue. There are some operators that require advanced open water certification before they'll take you to certain dive sites. I've seen this at Rainbow Reef in Key Largo, FL. USA before.

You could always come with us to Roatan this summer. NASE is giving away nitrox classes free during that trip.

Do both. Definitely do Rescue. It's a prolonged course if done right, but a lot of useful skills to be learned there. Plus it is required if you want to get PADI Master Scuba Diver or Divemaster.
Nitrox cert is so easy and fast that it can be done anytime. They are charging you too much for it, though, unless they actually give you a tank of enriched air and an O2 analyzer and take you out to dive.

I think SDI does it online
Academics yes, but still have to meet with an instructor at least once to show you can test a tank and if they are good to make sure you understand the material.

If you're going to do both before your next trip probably it doesn't matter much. But if you're thinking one now and maybe one on a trip I would do Rescue now if you can do that all locally. Much more time and work involved than Nitrox.that you probably don't want to take out of a vacation.

And $216 does seem expensive for basic Nitrox. The class is often fairly inexpensive at resort destinations or on liveaboards, and sometime comes with a good deal on an unlimited Nitrox package for your stay. So you might just wait until your next trip and do that there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom