Nitrox or Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the Both option. No need to go to Mexico for Nitrox. I paid $75 for mine and it was maybe a 2 hour class after doing the bookwork at home. While it may be a placebo, many divers, including us, feel much less tired after dives on Nitrox. The "nitrogen naps" are much shorter after lunch.

Rescue was the class that I felt like I was becoming a diver. (I'm still working on it...but I'm much closer than I was three years ago) If done correctly, you will be spent when it's over. I'm not sure I would want to take the course on vacation though...but that's just me. I may have paid 150...maybe 225 for my rescue course. Friday night was book work. Saturday was rescue, Sunday was search. At least 6 dives. Again, great course, but I would do it before a vacation.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

I thought it was 40 dives or AOW.

You always need to carry both, whether they're from the same agency or not.
When I did Rescue in 2006 requirements were AOW, 20 logged dives. Shortly after the 20 logged dives was dropped. Then later the AOW was reduced to Adventure Diver. CPR still required. All good moves IMO.

I took the Nitrox before AOW and it was a private class at our convience for my buddy and I for $99 apiece, including training manuals.

The local instructor still has AOW and 20 dives as a prerequisite for Rescue. It was $250 for rescue and $150 for EFR/CPR if you took it from them rather than the Red Cross.

These were SF Bay Area prices.

Bob

I second the Both option. No need to go to Mexico for Nitrox. I paid $75 for mine and it was maybe a 2 hour class after doing the bookwork at home. While it may be a placebo, many divers, including us, feel much less tired after dives on Nitrox. The "nitrogen naps" are much shorter after lunch.

Rescue was the class that I felt like I was becoming a diver. (I'm still working on it...but I'm much closer than I was three years ago) If done correctly, you will be spent when it's over. I'm not sure I would want to take the course on vacation though...but that's just me. I may have paid 150...maybe 225 for my rescue course. Friday night was book work. Saturday was rescue, Sunday was search. At least 6 dives. Again, great course, but I would do it before a vacation.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

Yes, if you have limited vacation and a significant other who wants to do something other than dive, the Rescue course could ruin a vacation:) There is a lot to it, especially if you have to also complete the EFR training.

I took the Nitrox before AOW and it was a private class at our convience for my buddy and I for $99 apiece, including training manuals.

The local instructor still has AOW and 20 dives as a prerequisite for Rescue. It was $250 for rescue and $150 for EFR/CPR if you took it from them rather than the Red Cross.

These were SF Bay Area prices.
Bob

Not a PADI requisite.

Not a PADI requisite.

No, but an instructor requsite by a PADI instructor. I don't know if one taking the class would notice the distinction.

Bob

No, but an instructor requsite by a PADI instructor. I don't know if one taking the class would notice the distinction.
Bob

Personally, I agree with that instructor. I think one needs some experience and feeling comfortable in the water to perform some of the rescue exercises in the course.

Personally, I agree with that instructor. I think one needs some experience and feeling comfortable in the water to perform some of the rescue exercises in the course.
As mentioned, I agree with the feeling comfortable part. You'd think AOW & 20 dives would indicate that, but at times I've heard otherwise here on SB. Guess it's up to each diver to get comfortable and then sign up for Rescue. Putting responsibility on the individual---a unique concept in today's world.

As one that is considering both, i do the nitrox first and then the rescue class.... But that is just me.

Funny I was just recalling that after doing AOW that was my next order--Nitrox then Rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom