Nitrox now or later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my nitrox as soon as OW was complete but that was as they had a half price deal. Had that not been the case I would have held off. Even though certified I am likly to hold off using it until I have some of the finer issues of scuba worked out. As far as benefits it does lower my nitrogen exposure but does not prolong my timing as I am still a typical newbie air hungry hog

Chris

christianweber:
you are the instructor and not me ,i would assume you should know better than me about how the pressure works on your body , and water since we left it long time ago , pulls a lot of energie or am i wrong .
to do good we have to consider what we eat:popcorn: , what we drink :coffee: and working out :rofl3: is for sure not wrong ,just to keep up with diving :confused: .
certain dives i would compare with serious long term workout's :huh: .

and damaging sounds way to serious ,what i get out of it mentaly is a good compensation for what i do to the body ,healthy mind healthy body . so long as i belive it ,good it is .
my point is just to get the best out of my diving ,for that i use nitrox:blinking: .

Working out is not bad for the body. Neither is diving...unless you do it wrong. Our bodies are made up of a large percentage of water, which does not compress in water. The pressure doesn't do anything except to airfilled spaces - lungs (which we compensate for by breathing more air), sinus cavities (which we compensate for by equalizing). No damage comes from diving properly. If that was the case, do you think we'd be allowed to certify 10 year olds?

Dive-aholic:
Working out is not bad for the body. Neither is diving...unless you do it wrong. Our bodies are made up of a large percentage of water, which does not compress in water. The pressure doesn't do anything except to airfilled spaces - lungs (which we compensate for by breathing more air), sinus cavities (which we compensate for by equalizing). No damage comes from diving properly. If that was the case, do you think we'd be allowed to certify 10 year olds?

gasexange in the body ( blood), is one thing pressure has alot to do with , if you do a long dive you better do not, any work out the day before or at the same day , the body needs rest and why ? because you strain the body, pull some energie , it is a matter of how long you dive how deep you dive and how much you take care of the body , so best is we let it be and just say lets make the best out of it and use nitrox.

example :nitrox 28 / 50 / 80 132 feet 60 min bt , deco for 35min , water cond 36-37 degrees ,all together 95 min , i get out and feel good , if you dive the same dive on air you'll be down for about 180 min , and please don't tell me you feel good and fresh because i won't belive you ,because i get out and i am dired as hell , was for sure not healty .
and i also do not think you would do the same dive with a ten year old .16 year old could be, still i would not suggest it.:no

the way it is with diving, is, if you do things wrong you won't survive for to long .

and even if you do everthing right , you are still in danger does there is something going wrong in your body wich you can't predicet ,

like it is with smokers the don't have the problems so long the are young ,but with age there is the pay back time , and most of the people do pay back , and very little of them do not pay back because the have a very tuff naturel .

for diving i'll pay back proudly , i would not like to do it for any other drug.

it is always the matter of how much you do things or better overdoing them .

and i said damaging sounds way to serious , there is a difference between not healthy and damaging ,at least for me there is .

and as i said as instructor you should know better than i do and i mean that, dead seriously.

diving is to consider as safe , and as safe i do see it , and there will be always a risk be with it (we have to bring the nessesary respekt to it) ,we are no fishes anymore, bottomline .

and be carefull so you don't wear out you ankels with this heavy fins , sorry i mean the tanks :eyebrow:

and by the way nice haircut ,looks almost like barbie ken :crafty:

take it easy , i promise you won't damage your body i do belive in you ,does you will do good diving :coffee: .

my longest dive was 200 min in 41 degrees with wet gloves after a nap i did an other 90 min more and all solo :rofl3:
diving is like life to short . my belive is in bottom time and not how many dives i do.:)

question to you : wich is the problem #1 for deco accidents and why ???

You're misunderstanding my comments. I wasn't implying that you should work out and dive the same day. I'm stating that diving can be a work out and working out is not bad. I've read your examples. As for diving with a 10 year old, I'm referring to recreational profiles, not decompression dives. Diving is not damaging or bad for you if done properly, even decompression diving.

I think you need to have a little better understanding of diving physiology. A lot of what you say, if intended as I interpret it, is faulty. Your remark about a 3 hour air dive, well, I wouldn't do a decompression dive on air only. I also do my decompression with 100%, and I do feel great after the dive, even when it's a 2 hour dive. And there is nothing unhealthy about the dive, even on air, as long as you follow your plan and wear the proper exposure protection.

Read some books, take some classes. Adv Nitrox is a good class, but far from making you an expert. Read some of Bruce Wienke's books. Maybe they will help you understand things better.

Number 1 problem in deco accidents is the diver - failing to follow the plan or failing to make a plan.

Adv Nitrox is a good class, but far from making you an expert.

Good point. I've taken the class and it reminds me of Fundies, a good beginner class to advanced diving.

dive-aholic
"Number 1 problem in deco accidents is the diver - failing to follow the plan or failing to make a plan."

i did understand you , mybe you don't understand me ,but it is ok, it would take a while to get to know each other , have to take care of work and familie as well .
and i was thinking #1 deco accident is the dehydration , if you don't drink enough you can get bend even within the recreational diving limits , drinking enough starts already couple days befor the dive, same with mountenclimbing . getting sick in hight #1 proplem is dehydration as well .

hydration is also underestimated in sport by a lot of people .

and if i am expert or not wich i would not say about myself ,not at all actually (so much to learn wich i don't know) , i'll still recomment nitrox to divers :wink: .

i do read a lot and there are a lot of pro and contras in any topic , you take the ones you like and i take the ones i like , just don't like to fool myself :no , talk to you soon ,christian

Not to argue, Christian, but I believe that decompression accident is different than decompression sickness. I've not checked recently, but I believe the first is a generic term for any injuries from decompression, and the second is the "bend" or nitrogen toxicity. You can check in your dive book and see the terms.

As I can recall, the most common decompression accident is from rapidly expanding gas - irregardless if it is nitrox, air, or other gas mix. This is presented as ear squeeze, sinus squeeze, tooth pain, and of course, the deadliest - air embolism from rapidly expanding alveoli of the lung.

By focusing too much on a "safe gas", it is better to spend more time worrying about the first category of decompression accident.... Meaning - slow ascent - even and especially at the top 5 or 10 ft. As I understand, even a rapid progression through a few feet of water can be sufficient for barotrauma.

As I understand, up to 1/3 of divers ascent much more rapidly than the recommended rate - these are the ones that will get barotrauma - irregarless of what gas mix they use.

Rather than telling divers to do nitrox for the "safety" margin, you should tell them to do nitrox to learn more about dive safety - especially in understanding more about barotrauma - rather than nitrogen toxicity and injury alone.

but at least on this one i and the dive-alcoholic are on the same page ,we or i talk about the bend dcs in this case ,i am not to worred about the barotrauma,if i talk about me so long as i follow the procedures .
but you are for sure right with all you said. ok lets say in future "use nitrox and ascent slowly" i hope everybody is happy now

use nitrox and get the tanks filled with not expanding gas, than you can ascent slowly ,but to consider is this filles are very very expensiv, almost not affordable !!!

let us say insted to call them a few feet we say a few meters , sounds more realistic , 10 m(33feet ) would be area where air expands most , but with the special airfills you can do what ever you want even flying to the moon just drink enough.

fisherdvm, it's DCS v. DCI - Decompression Sickness v. Decompression Illness. I think Christian was lumping both into one category of decompression accidents or mishaps.

Christian, I'm still going to go with the diver being the number one problem. Dehydration falls into that, but I don't think it's the number one cause. I know a few divers who have been bent and none of them were bent because of dehydration.

These terms are confusing as H%*&.... Illness and sickness is the same in the english dictionary.... But it is defined as followed:

DCI encompasses two diseases, decompression sickness (DCS) and arterial gas embolism (AGE). DCS is thought to result from bubbles growing in tissue and causing local damage, while AGE results from bubbles entering the lung circulation, traveling through the arteries and causing tissue damage at a distance by blocking blood flow at the small vessel level.

Sorry to nitpick, Christian... But I want the reader to be aware, as I was not.

Back
Top Bottom