Nitrox for older divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is evidence that nitrox may decrease the chance of dysbaric osteonecrosis. Given age as a qualifier, there's a chance that the amount of total dives could be considered extreme exposure. Not that old people ever complain about pain in our joints.

I feel more energized when I dive Nitrox as well. Sounds like a good randomized study. Blind a diver to the air mixture, set computer to air, limit MOD and repeat experiment a bunch of times with a questionnaire upon surfacing... but I suppose no one cares enough about the answer. If it makes you feel good, be it a placebo effect, why potentially ruin it with a science?

I feel more energized when I dive Nitrox as well. Sounds like a good randomized study. Blind a diver to the air mixture, set computer to air, limit MOD and repeat experiment a bunch of times with a questionnaire upon surfacing... but I suppose no one cares enough about the answer. If it makes you feel good, be it a placebo effect, why potentially ruin it with a science?

And who would fund this?

Did two liveaboards about 14 and 15 years ago on the same boat the Nekton. Same itinerary in Belize. Got Nitrox certified between. Second trip found myself literally bouncing up the Almost three stories from the dive deck to the upper deck. Completely energized and the major difference was Nitrox. Yes I had a few more dives but otherwise no difference. I had no expectation that I would feel any different. I noticed I felt significantly different and wondered why Then I attributed it to Nitrox. Could have been something else but I go with simple. That was the major difference between the two trips.

It has been one of my greatest wishes that nitrox leave me feeling better at day's end. It has never proven to be the case.

Regardless, that is what I dive as long as it is available to me. Sometimes I have chosen not to dive, if it wasn't available.

I have experienced two painful episodes of skin bends in my past. None on nitrox

I am aware that it is often stated that diving Nitrox reduces fatigue. I don't know if there is a scientific paper proving, or disproving this particular issue.

However, I was at a presentation by the DDRC (Diving Diseases Research Centre) many years ago, when the argument still raged about if recreational divers should use Nitrox. A number of points where made.
1. Nitrox is safer than air if the rules are followed. (Their comment where along the lines of "you would be mad to dive air in preference to Nitrox if Nitrox is available").
2. The prognosis for a full recover after a bend increases if Nitrox was used, in preference to air. (Further improved by immediate O2 first aid and rapid evacuation for treatment.)
3. Sub-clinical DCI appears reduced in those doing like for like dives (depth and time).

In addition, for those who have suffered bends previously, and are still allowed to dive (medically), a usual recommendation is to use Nitrox in place of air to reduce the risks.

1. Nitrox is safer than air if the rules are followed. (Their comment where along the lines of "you would be mad to dive air in preference to Nitrox if Nitrox is available").
I'm guessing there is an implicit "on the same profile, that is far from oxygen limits" here. In general people diving nitrox will be diving more aggressive profiles (I know I am).

o any of you older guys use nitrox based on your age?
At 63, I'm no where near as old as you are, and I use NitrOx because of my age. :D :D :D Yes, it gives me longer bottom times, but I'm usually limited by my buddy's air.

Back
Top Bottom