Nitrox for older divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Bobbyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am returning to diving after a long dry spell. I will be buying new equipment and will take refresher training. I am 65, in good health and cleared by the doctor. I've been reading about how some older divers use nitrox basically due to their age. I don't plan on doing any deep diving or several tank dives. Do any of you older guys use nitrox based on your age? Thanks.

I'm 66 and don't. But most of my dives are very shallow, so Nitrox' extending bottom times is useless. I know it is used by some and they set their computer on Air for more conservatism. I suppose that may be a good idea for us old people since our circulation regarding Nitrogen on & offgassing is not as good as when young.

Nitrox is affectionately known as "geezer gas" for this reason (and sometimes, "voodoo gas" for other reasons). By lowering the fraction of nitrogen in your breathing gas - while practicing safe diving, measured ascents, etc. - it may reduce the risk of decompression illness.

Anecdotally, some people (of all ages) report that they feel less tired after diving nitrox and this can also be a benefit.

I will always use Nitrox if it is available for dives, other than very shallow dives, if I am going to dive more than one dive, or dive multiple successive days, or plan to dive deeper than medium depth (60-70'). Although I know there are differing opinions on how Nitrox makes you feel, I am one of those that using Nitrox makes me feel less tired at the end of a second dive.

I use Nitrox (and I default to using it) because it reduces the chances of getting bent, reduces the length of stops and is generally an advantage. I don’t feel any different whichever gas I use.

It might reduce narcosis in breaking news.

Hi @2Bobbyo

I'm 66, most all my dives since 2002 have been nitrox. I dive much more aggressively than you say you will. I use nitrox exclusively for the longer NDLs, shorter SIs. I don't observe any difference in fatigue, but dive nitrox as aggressively as I would air.

Other than price, I don’t see a downside of using NitrOx for shallow dives... As the matter of fact the only disadvantage of NitrOx in my book is shallower MOD regardless of age.

A buddy of mine dived until he was 78. He used nitrox as a bottom mix, and for deco mix, almost all the time. He explained he felt less tired after the dive and added : and people on the boat pester me a lot less since I've been using it. :D I must add he was an instructor and 50+ years of diving. He was really amazing underwater.

I use Nitrox in nearly all of my cold water dives which are typically deeper than 60 feet. I do not use in regularly in warm water where most of my dives are under 70 feet and where it is not always available. I am closing in on 73.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom