Nitrox class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MHK once bubbled...

Just my thoughts, but I know if I wanted to learn how to golf, I wouldn't go to the golf pro that promised me the shortest and fastest classes, so why do we accept that in scuba???
You might not, but there are millions who will and do want the shortest and fastest.

The bulk of our happy group of posters are a lot more dedicated than your average vacation diver.

But the average vacation diver is who the industry is aimed at.

who teaches rescuing OX TOX divers in a basic Nitrox course

It has been some time since I did my EANx course (10 years in fact) but didnt TDI used to teach rescue skills in the basic course?
I think TDI was Rob Palmer's lot wasnt it?

boomx5 once bubbled...
Andrew Georgitsis Report On Saving A Toxing Diver

Charlie recently pulled this out of the archive, dusted it off and posted this on another board, I hope everyone finds it helpful.

Great article Scott. Thanks for posting. Do you have the article MHK wrote a while back about how to handle a toxing diver? Im gonna try a search for it later if i can find it. I think it was posted on this board, not real sure though :confused:

boomx5 once bubbled...

I haven't seen that one. If you find it, it would be great if you could post it.
I dont think this is what i was looking for but still goes over what to do

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18087&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=4

More to the immediate point, when a diver toxes most teach that you should get the diver to the surface ASAP, which if you do that you will eliminate any chance that diver has to live. When a diver toxes his throat convulses which precludes air from escaping. Therefore if you take that diver directly to the surface he'll likely embolize.

The proper procedure for rescuing a toxing diver is for the rescuer to come from behind the toxing diver, put the rescuer's regulator, another reason for the long hose, up to the toxing diver's mouth.. It's unlikely if he is still toxing that you'll be able to get it in his mouth so you put it up to his mouth while purging it.. When he stops convulsing you then immediately put your reg into his mouth so he doesn't swallow any water. The timing and control of this move is critical and it must be practiced in water. Furthermore, you'll then be responsible for his bouyancy, your bouyancy and that may involve adding or dumping air from your BC and/or his, you'll need to monitor depth and time and it's quit likely that he'll have another seizure on the ascent which will mean you'll need to stop the ascent, stabilize him and you and go through the process again.. Later

coberry7 once bubbled...
Agreed. I ask who would be the authorizing authority anyway? It's a self regulated industry.

Soooo, And this is directed at everyone...who teaches rescuing OX TOX divers in a basic Nitrox course. I learned NiTrox from SDI. Just the basics, you know. There was no mention of OxTox Rescue in the rescue diver course that I took with SDI either. I've never even heard it discussed among the professionals I hang out with.

I want to learn how to do this without learning how to via ScubaBoard. Someone name the agency that does! (If it has been mentioned before, sorry, I don't have all day to read every post in here.)

Colin Berry

NAUI's instructor standards state the following regarding the Technical EANx Course:

"Students shall participate in a diver rescue simulation to include management of a diver experiencing underwater convulsions."

That course is in the technical level of NAUI courses, which normally follows this technical progression:

Technical EANx
Decompression Techniques
Extended Range
Technical Wreck
Trimix I
Trimix II

You would need a NAUI technical instructor to teach it, someone like (AHEMM!!) Chick-Diver. :)

Yeah Karl, got it.

I asked about BASIC NITROX COURSES i.e introductory level.

Read my quote. BASIC!

Sorry if my personal feelings towards you are coming through here.

Colin Berry

Does anyone know which certification agency teaches OxTox rescue at the basic level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom