Nitrox class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it. If you guys are going to start quoting Rodales, I'm outa here. LOL

The day they have a clue....there will be ice in...

I might have totally missed this.

But are there accident reports like with DAN or some other organization that state all the Ox Tox cases and or fatalities during diving?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I've been saying that for years...

FLL Diver once bubbled...

I should have clarified that I was asking about accredited agencies that can issue certifications. GUE can't issue cards, and those classes you cite aren't regular Nitrox certification classes.

GUE can issue cards,and the RecTriox certifies the Diver for Nitrox. Might not be a regular Nitrox class, but GUE doesn't seem to fall in the "regular" agency mold.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which agencies do teach tox'ed diver rescue as part of their regular Nitrox courses? I know of two that DON'T have it in their standards.

Marc

I'm an instructor for 5 agencies and non of them teach it.

This is what I call a PRIMARY SOURCE. Its also known as EXPERT TESTIMONY. This is how we find out FACTS.

Query, whether rescue topics should be taught in rescue classes?

Sounds self evident to me. And makes perfect sense as well.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Amen to that, Mike!=-) ROTFLMAO

I should have clarified that I was asking about accredited agencies that can issue certifications. GUE can't issue cards, and those classes you cite aren't regular Nitrox certification classes.

Marc, the part about it not being a "regular" nitrox class may be true but the rest of what you said it completely false.

Karl's personal feelings on the question are irrelevant. If it's not a required standard, how can you fault an instructor who is following the standards? It appears to me that this argument has become personal. You should be discussing agency standards, not individual instructors who are following the standards.

My issue has nothing to do with the standards. My issue is purely with his reasoning behind _why_ he doesn't feel it should be taught.... that it's impossible to tox at 1.6 or below. That is false, and dangerous to lead people to believe.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

This is what I call a PRIMARY SOURCE. Its also known as EXPERT TESTIMONY. This is how we find out FACTS.

Very good Karl, you've established without a doubt that PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, etc don't teach how to rescue a toxing diver in their basic nitrox class.

Now all you have to do is to establish that this skill isn't needed. You're off to a good start with the impossibility of toxing below 1.6! :rolleyes:

cornfed once bubbled...

Marc, the part about it not being a "regular" nitrox class may be true but the rest of what you said it completely false.

What's false? GUE is not a member of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council, and as such are not recognized as a "certifying" agency.

Everything I've ever read says this is how one defines a certifying agency.

On the lists that the different agencies have that shows what certification they consider equivalent levels of certification, nto one lists any GUE course.

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom