Nitrox class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a LOT of company here.

Darlene

Marc,

"GUE is not a member of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council, and as such are not recognized as a "certifying" agency.

Everything I've ever read says this is how one defines a certifying agency."

So this means in the US, you'd only consider IDEA, PADI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA recognized agencies?

Walter once bubbled...
So this means in the US, you'd only consider IDEA, PADI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA recognized agencies?

Dont know how we got off on a GUE tangent.

Does GUE issue cards? Or do they just give classes for divers already certified by other agencies?

I also took the SSI Nitrox class about five months ago. I thought it was a great class, but only two hours for me. In my opinion that wasnt enough time to ask all my questions. Plus no dives, now come on. I would have liked to have completed a coupple of dives, but I understand why they dont require any. Theres little to no taste difference in the gas, plus if you can do the math in the classroom, why cant you do it outside.
Tekkie

Walter,
This post of yours did an excellent job of reducing animosity and focusing the discussion on the issue.

Thank you!

Walter once bubbled...
WOW!

It has gotten heated in here and it is getting a tad personal. Let's all try to remember to be respectful of everyone. We can disagree with someone's opinions without getting personal.

Seems there are several issues that are causing the water to boil over. Do the various agencies require teaching rescue of ox toxed divers in their nitrox classes? Should they require it?

Looks like the answer to the first question is probably (although I haven't looked) no and most folks think the second (Karl is a vocal exception) should be answered yes.

If an instructor's agency doesn't require rescue of ox toxed divers in their nitrox classes should they teach it anyway?

It looks like most folks here (again, Karl being a notable exception) think this should be answered yes.

It looks to me that these issues have been debated enough for anyone reading this thread to form an opinion on the issue and that those involved in the debate aren't going to change their minds, why beat a dead horse?

Marc,

I've heard of the RSTC, but not the WRSTC. I've never heard of membership in the RSTC being a requirement for an agency to be recognized. Most agencies are older than the RSTC and were recognized before the RSTC existed and are still recognized. YMCA refused to join the RSTC when it was formed, but later did become a member. NAUI is not currently a member.

James,

"you don't even have to "teach" someone to dive ( before some witt says it, i might as well - so THAT's how padi does it!), just give them a C card."

This is not a fair statement as it is not true. While I'll be the first to say PADI's standards need, in my opinion, an overhaul; they don't hand out cards without teaching. I'm sure there might be instructors who do that, but any such instructors are in violation of standards. PADI is not responsible for standards violations unless they ignore those of which they are aware. As far as I'm aware, PADI follows up on reports of standards violations. Unfounded accusations do everyone a disservice.

coberry7 once bubbled...
Does anyone know which certification agency teaches OxTox rescue at the basic level?

At the basic (ie PADI recreational, < 40%) level? No, it doesn't appear that any one does.

The ANDI CSU course does not teach what to do about either CNS toxicity or pulmonary oxygen toxicity, although my instructor did cover the subject.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Dont know how we got off on a GUE tangent.

Does GUE issue cards? Or do they just give classes for divers already certified by other agencies?

Are you serious or just trying to troll?

cornfed once bubbled...

Are you serious or just trying to troll?

Does GUE issue cards, or do they just give training courses to divers who are already certified by other agencies?

Here is a bonus question:

Do they issue trimix cards?

I know NAUI & TDI issue trimix cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom