Nitrox class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Does GUE issue cards, or do they just give training courses to divers who are already certified by other agencies?

Here is a bonus question:

Do they issue trimix cards?

I know NAUI & TDI issue trimix cards.

Oh my god! You can't possibly be serious!

You're either a really bad troll or really stupid.

Are you somehow afraid to answer the question?

Coming from you that's pretty funny.

GUE certifies divers. They issue cards. They offer several levels of trimix instruction and they provide a certification card for each level.

What's your point?

Does GUE issue cards, or do they just give training courses to divers who are already certified by other agencies?
Yes...I have a GUE card...if you want, I'll take a picture and send it to ya

I hope to get one in the next year or two.

I know NAUI & TDI issue trimix cards.

GUE issues cards for each course, including DIR-F.

GUE issues trimix cards. At the most basic level, a GUE Rec Triox card certifies you to use 30/30 and 21/35 in no deco, non-penetration environments.

I'm not sure about the course content of the cave courses; however, I am aware that the various Tech courses also teach the use of trimix. Even better, they all issue cards.

Finally, at least up here, those cards are good for mix fills. I called around the few shops that fill mix to make sure of that before I started down the GUE training path.

Incidentally, the DIR-F course, which is a non-technical course, covers the use of Nitrox.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Incidentally, the DIR-F course, which is a non-technical course, covers the use of Nitrox.
In my fundy's course, it was touched on, but I didn't think it was taught as a "cert"...meaning I'm pretty sure I can't use my fundy's card for fills.

Now Rec Triox OTOH I understand is the gue equivalent of basic gas usage since Nitrox is not a requrement for either Rec Triox or Fundy's. This class would be good for EANx mixes up to 40% and the trimix fills you mentioned in your porevious post.

Maybe MHK or BCS can weigh in here as I am not 100% certain.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
MAybe this is something that some of the Mitrox and Rescue instructors will begin to bring up in their classes based upon what was seen here in this thread. I feel that with more and more people diving nitrox recreationally, we are going to see some more and more incidents over time...thus making rescuing a toxing diver something that we (those of us with Nitrox Training or rescue training) should be aware of.

Frankly I feel it should be taught in both the nitrox course and recue diver course. It makes for another chance to so some practice dives in a pool. And it could possibly save a life of a buddy one day.

Repetition, is good, BigT, you are right about that.

I know of one Basic Instructor (non-tech) who does spend some time during his basic rescue class on the topic of ox toxing divers and how to approach that situation. It is not mentioned in the instructor standards until you reach the Technical EANx course however.

If one person here, Spectre, encountered a situation in which a basic EANx diver toxed, and the injury was not reported as as tox related, then I doubt there much, if ANY, justification for revising a dozen training agencies' standards on when to teach ox tox rescue.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
In my fundy's course, it was touched on, but I didn't think it was taught as a "cert"...meaning I'm pretty sure I can't use my fundy's card for fills.

Now Rec Triox OTOH I understand is the gue equivalent of basic gas usage since Nitrox is not a requrement for either Rec Triox or Fundy's. This class would be good for EANx mixes up to 40% and the trimix fills you mentioned in your porevious post.

Maybe MHK or BCS can weigh in here as I am not 100% certain.

Big T,

Going back and forth with certain posters isn't likely to produce any meaningful exchanges so I try to avoid those type of exchanges. However, in response to your question, is that in our DIR-F classes I have recently included a demonstration of the rescue. It is beyond the scope of our standards, but the one good thing that our standards suggest is that we are encouraged to exceed the standards. To that end as I've traveled the country I've noticed that most divers that are Nitrox certified have never seen a rescue, they have never practiced a rescue and frankly, many respond with the wrong answer when I ask about how to do a rescue. So in response to this unfortunate situation I've added it to my DIR-F classes. As for the Triox class that you asked about, that is in fact part of our program as we believe if a student is going to dive on elevated oxygen mixes that doing a rescue of a toxing divers is a critical skill.

I'm shocked that so many reject this premise in any Nitrox class, but I've long ago accepted that we can't try to change everyone's mind. If they want a class that doesn't require dives, or doesn't teach the rescue skills they have plenty of options. If someone wants a class that does in fact teach the skill then they'll choose us. Anymore then that I'm not sure I can speak to..

Hope that helps..

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom